esa not working!

ke_kahuna

Cadet
Aloha frm hawaii!
I got a 86 omc cobra 4.3 runs good just can't get the shiift assist to work!
if I manually activate,or use shifter it doesn't change rpm?
here r my #s that I got with my mutimeter
purple wire@ starter 4 volts,+on coil 4 volts, purrple wire connector to esa 11.36
points closed key on engine not running
resistor wire getting really warm almost hot so I turn off switch quickly!
Grounds clean,checked overstroke and interrupter swith ohm ok
is it the esa module?
thanks
tom

john744

Seaman Apprentice
Re: esa not working!

Aloha Brother !!!

I am NO EXPERT and have learned a lot through trial & error. Since you've received no other responses, I'll try & help. First, I hope you have a manual. Factory is best but Seloc or Clymer is better than nothing. Second, ABSOLUTE MUST READING for Cobra oweners is Stuart Hastings Cobra Web Site. This explains the whole Cobra shifting problem history & offers excellent insight into the theory, whys and hows of the shifting system & the ESA module.

Your #s on the starter and coil sound really low. As for the resistor wire, I don't believe it should get so hot as to be alarming. Perhaps there is a short somewhere that account for the voltage drop and high current in the resistor wire.

First, check your points. Place a small piece of this cardboard or some other insulator between the points to keep the circuit open. Don't forget to remove it when done. Check your voltages.

Here are some diagrams I hopew will help

Cobra%20Engine%20Wiring.gif

The ESA module has 2 connectors. Unplug the smaller of the two (2 wires). This remove the ESA from the circuit. Recheck your voltage measurements. If the jump back up closer to 12, youve got a blown module.

If removing the ESA from the circuit does the trick, there is no fix, only replacement. Be sure to get the correct unit for they are different for 4 Cyl, 6 Cyl, and 8 Cyl engines
You can look here at Doug Russell Marine (no endorsement intended) for reference.

Part #71 0984036 0987740 SHIFT MODULE KIT 1 $109.99 $107.79

PLEASE take a look at this thread. Though different issue, still has some good info, and more diagrams.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492953

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Me ka aloha pumehana

John D

ke_kahuna

Cadet

Thanks forr the response! Did what u said and got these #s
engine not running/key on/ppoints open,
stater@12.31
small wire@starter 11.88
coil +&- poles 11.90
small connector to esa 11.90
and I was wrong about resistor wire getting hot with points closed its the orange alternator wire?

I rechecked the #s with points closed they r
starter@12.23
Small wire@starter 4.16
pos on coil 4.22
Neg 0.56
Small esa connector. 11.36
I don't know what im looking for/ as I said overstroke and interup switches ohm out ok?
But no change in engine when shift? Not sure if I should just buy a new esa module?
Also don't know wherre the wires from the neutral start protector go to just installed the control
and have thhe two wires laying there? Do they need to be coonnected in order for the esa to work?
any ideas questions or comments would be great!
'Mahalo!!

john744

Seaman Apprentice

O.K. ......... let's take this one step at a time.

An easy way to test the ESA is to unplug the 4 conductor connector from the ESA and use a jumper on the module side to activate the ESA. This will eliminate the switches entirely. If it works by hand on land, you can isolate the issue to the mechanical functions of the switches and shift lever adjustment. Here's the bad part, I'm sitting at home and not at the boat and can't tell you exactly which terminal in the plug to ground. Here's the good news. You can't hurt anything by jumping the wrong terminal. Although there are 4 terminals, only 2 go back to the ESA. 2 are merely a jumper to wire the switches in series. I believe one wire is black and is connected to ground, the other is blue and must be grounded to activate the ESA. So, in other words, get a jumper, connect one side to a known good ground source. Take the other end of the jumper and touch it to each of the 4 terminals on the MODULE side of the connector. When the motor stumbles, you found the right terminal. This does not require the boat to be in the water or need any pressure on the prop. This is testing the activation of the ESA only. If the motor DOES NOT stumble, first verify the ESA has a GOOD SOLID GROUND. If it still will ot stumble, you've got a bad ESA.

ESA%20Diagram.gif

ke_kahuna

Cadet

Thanks for the info!!!!
I will try it tomorrow!
Mahalo friend!!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

O.K. ......... let's take this one step at a time.

An easy way to test the ESA is to unplug the 4 conductor connector from the ESA and use a jumper on the module side to activate the ESA......
very good explanation!

ke_kahuna

Cadet

Well turns out esa not working, found one here@iboats but everytime I add to cart nothing happens!
$91.99 sounds ok!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

http://www.boatersland.com/cdi123-9898-p.html

You need to replace OMC part number 987740
Item 71 in the following parts list:
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...6,155,275,157,278,159,161,162,163,164,165,166

The CDI one works with pertronix if you ever decide to go that route.

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Evinr...8977431--**********.224253423--view_id.335753
For some reason iBoats doesn't list all the OMC part numbers that this module cross references too like the site I put on top and they also charge a bit more.