Erratic fuel gauge

VistaMan

Seaman
My fuel gauge bounces around as the gas sloshes in the tank, the gauge seems to be faily accurate when the boats is still. What part of the system supplies damping the gauge or the sending unit in the tank. What should I look for to fix it.<br /><br />VistaMan >

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Erratic fuel gauge

Sending units are variable resistors and have no delay. They change as the cork moves. Damping is accomplished in two different ways and has different effects. Baffles in the tank can reduce the level actually changing what the cork causes to be sent. Another way and your possible solution is to use electronic damping to slow any changes in the guage itself. Place a capacitor across the guage terminals observing polarity. My guess is to start with an electroletic capacitor of (aproximately) 150 uf at a voltage rating of at least 20 Volts across the guage. This should be available at radio shack and make sure the voltage rating of the capacitor is 20V or higher. More uf produces more damping and less uf less.....This is electronic damping and actually makes the guage move slowly regardless of what the sender is doing. Remember to place the electroletic capacitor directly across the guage with the - towards the lead of the sender and the + to the hotter side of the guage where the 12V conection goes to the ignition switch. Don't be afraid to try any value around 150, 200, uf as this is just a guess. Maybe the guage which may have had a capacitor all ready in it has gone bad.

VistaMan

Seaman

Ooops, hit the wrong key......<br />Ron,<br /><br />Is the standard for the sending unit between 33 and 240 ohms or can it vary depending on the manufacture?

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't remember but it is standard. use an ohmeter on the sender to see if there is smooth electrical connection. I have seen a few lose contact. My little tracker has so much damping at the guage, it takes 5 min to register correctly.