enrichner solenoid?

fedpo

Cadet
Can someone please explain what this part does (enrichner solenoid)? I know it's connected to the fuel line and I'm wondering if it could be causing my problem with the motor "surging" during high speed. When cold, the motor runs GREAT at 5000 rpms and 45 mph. As soon as the motor warms up (a mile or so down the river), it surges a few times then it has a loss of power down to 4000 rpms and 35-40 mph. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel flow issue. I've cleaned all carbs and I'm waiting for full pump rebuild kit to be delivered. This is a 2004 200 HP Mecury, model 22 XL SWB, serial number 0T922318

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: enrichner solenoid?

It takes the place of the old butterfly type choke by priming the carbs for initial starting. It is activated by turning the key on then pushing it in. I suspect you are dropping a cylinder after things get warmed up.

fedpo

Cadet

Thanks for the info. When you say "dropping a cylinder when things get warmed up", what would cause that? A bad trigger? Spark plug wire? Coil? If I can diagnose this IRRITATING problem, I can probably fix it myself. I appreciate ALL the help I can get!

vance14

Cadet

From my experience the first thing I would change are the spark plugs,sounds like one is overheating and breaking down.

vance

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

After checking/changing the spark plugs, check the firing of each cyl with an inductive timing light while the condition is happening.

A failure of the light on one or more cyls would indicate either a weak spark or no spark.

If all cyls fire at idle but one or more fail at rpm then DVA testing of the triggers while advancing the timing lever may indicate a broken wire from a trigger, causing a loss of spark when throttle is advanced.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Charlie B is probably right...make sure you fuel bulb is staying hard and you aren't sucking air somewhere...so many people have changed the expensive non-returnable electrical parts to find out they have an air leak in the fuel system or an old bulb...just an additional thought...Steve

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do make sure that your fuel tank is venting? You'll know it's not if the primer bulb is compressing in on itself. This will show up after a few minutes of running as you describe.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Primer bulbs DO NOT stay hard after an engine is started. They firm up when squeezed because it is forcing fuel to the carbs until the floats shut off fuel flow. After the engine starts the bulb becomes soft (not collapsed/sucked flat) because fuel is being sucked through it. If it is being sucked flat, there is a restriction between the bulb and the bottom of the pickup tube in the tank. As the engine begins to lose power, have someone squeeze the primer bulb. If the engine picks up you indeed have a fuel delivery problem and it is likely a weak fuel pump. If it does not pick up, it is likely an electrical issue. Immediately when the engine begins to bog down, shut it off and check the plugs. If they are a nice light tan that says fuel delivery is ok. If one or more plugs look very different than the others, then that can be due to several causes.