Enrichment Pump issues 1999 90 HP Yamaha

Dog1234

Cadet
I purchased a used motor a few month ago.It was hard to start after siting up every time. After I finally get it running it starts very well for the rest of the trip. I have read several threads and it appears the system is active till the engine warms up then it stops extra fuel from entering the #2 and #1 carburetors? I have taken the enrichment pump apart and all looks normal. Clean nothing out of the ordinary. It ohmed the enrichment valve and it read 3.5 ohms. I applied 12 volts to it and it does extend out.

The diaphragm in the enrichment pump look a little (crispy) kinda stiff. I turned the engine over and their is pulsation in the tube that connects to the enrichment pump. So I connected the tube and disconnected the tube that leaves the enrichment pump going to #2 carburetor. If I understand this system their be some fuel coming out the hose if the pump is working correctly?

I am thinking the diaphragm is old and not pulsating as needed. Any thoughts?

robert graham

Admiral
Same motor model and year as mine....my Primestart continues to work like new, knock on wood!....If I was experiencing your issues, then I'd install a new diaphragm, for sure. Do you have your Primestart red plastic lever in the correct position?

Dog1234

Cadet
Yes the lever is in correct position.

Do you know if fuel come out of the fuel line going to #2 carburetor when you are cranking the engine when in a cold start situation?