Enricher valve / choke solinoid

Logger

Cadet
Hi

I posted a problem that I was having with my 1983 90hp Mercury outboard engine about one month ago. My engine started up no problem and ran with muffs no problem but under power the engine would stall when engage. Some nice fella said to clean my carbs and the problem went away. The motor was running great for about a week then back to the same problem but I did notice that the enricher valve was leaking gas alot could this be my problem or is this something different all together ? I really don't know what to do I have changed all gas lines on the motor and all leading to the new tank I put in last year. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Enricher valve / choke solinoid

I did notice that the enricher valve was leaking gas alot

The enrichener valve should allow fuel run into the carbs ONLY when the motor is choked (ignition key is pushed in) and not at any other time. If the valve is leaking fuel at other times, then it would flood the carbs at idle or when the motor is off.

I presume that you temporarily disconnected the hose going from the enrichener to the carb to visually confirm that the valve is leaking fuel when the choke is off. I ask because a leaky valve would cause poor idle and hard starting when the motor is warm, which are not the symptoms you have described.

Logger

Cadet

The enricher valve is leaking form the top where you adjust the flow. We did diconnect the hose from the bottom and pushed in the choke and the gas did flow and then stopped when the choke came back out. When we try and adjust the enricher valve on the top the engine seems to want to go it revs high then goes back down. I changed all the line on the motor and replaced them with clear line I can see air bubbles in the line moving at the bottom of the valve. Should the enricher valve be shut off or even by passed will this help or does this have nothing to do with my problem of stalling when under power ?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The enricher valve is leaking form the top where you adjust the flow.

I am not familiar with enrichener valves that are adjustable and what the adjustments do. Are you sure you are adjusting the enrichener valve?

We did diconnect the hose from the bottom and pushed in the choke and the gas did flow and then stopped when the choke came back out.

Seems like it is working OK then.

When we try and adjust the enricher valve on the top the engine seems to want to go it revs high then goes back down.

I can't answer this one as I don't know what the adjustment does

I changed all the line on the motor and replaced them with clear line I can see air bubbles in the line moving at the bottom of the valve.

Bubbles anywhere in the fuel line is not a good thing and you should find out where they are coming from. Air bubbles usually enter the fuel system somewhere upstream of the fuel pump, where there is a vaccum in the fuel line. You might try connecting a clear hose between the fuel pump and the fuel line from the fuel tank to confirm this. If you see bubbles there too, you have an air leak which can cause the problems you describe due to lean carb mixture. Not to be an alarmist, but running the motor too lean at high speed can actually blow your motor up if it is not fixed. (Maybe not blow up, just melt the pistons)

Should the enricher valve be shut off or even by passed will this help or does this have nothing to do with my problem of stalling when under power ?

You need the enrichener to start the motor when it is cold. If you remove or bypass it, you will have a heck of time using that motor.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.

the fuel enricher solenoids are a royal pain in the a** most of the time. i have one on my 83' 115, and it constantly lets fuel through, my solution was, when the engine is cold have the enricher working and by the time you are warm disable it, the valve on top doesnt adjust it, it either allows it to work of not, its either all the way counterclockwise or all the way clockwise, if its workin you can hear the click, if its disengaged then you wont hear the click when you push the key, when i first got the motor it was idling wierd and idling up and down, didnt wanna rev up, cleaned the carbs, ran much better but still did wierd stuff like what yours was doin. so finally i got the engine to operating temperature and thought hey ill disable the enricher, as soon as i did it she rean PERFECTLY, idled with no misses or anything, revved up real clean. do def. just try and disable it when you are warmed up, on that metal cowling support in front of the carbs there is a sticker that has directions for it. really hope this helps man

Logger

Cadet

Thanks for all the help boyz I am going to try that when I go up north.