Enjoy Illinois 300

aspeck

Staff member
The Cup Series heads to World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison Ill, for the first Cup race at the 1.25-mile track formerly known as Gateway. Several drivers have competed there in the Xfinity Series and Truck Series, but bringing Cup cars to this track is a complete unknown. This 300 mile race should be interesting ... hopefully as interesting as last week's Coca-Cola 600, even if it is only 1/2 the race!

WWT Raceway was on the Xfinity calendar from 1997 through 2010 and during that span, four active Cup drivers won racers there (Harvik, TWT, Martin Truex, Jr, and Bad Brad). The Camping World Truck Series has visited the course since 1998, with a brief hiatus from 2011 through 2013, and five drivers in the Cup field this year have wins (Chastain, Haley, Christopher Bell, Cole Custer, and Bubba Wallace).

Additionally, this track will probably have some solid comparatives with the short, flat tracks of Phoenix, New Hampshire, Richmond, and Martinsville Speedway. Banked at 11 degrees in Turns 1 and 2, it is like New Hampshire. A flatter nine degrees in 3 and 4 may make that corner race like Phoenix. At 1.25-miles in length, we will probably give less thought to Richmond and Martinsville when race time rolls around. This track is also egg-shaped like Darlington, which will add to the challenge. If the asphalt proves to be overly course, it might fit with the rough-surfaced tracks.

After Denny Hamlin's win at Charlotte, he cracked the Top 10 in the Nascar Power Rankings this week. The power rankings are as follows:
1. Ross Chastain
2. Chase Elliott
3. Kyle Larson
4. Kyle Bush
5. William Byron
6. Ryan Blaney
7. Christopher Bell
8. Alex Bowman
9. Joey Logano
10. Denny Hamlin.

FlaCowboy endured the 620 mile race to win the Fantasy Live Charlotte race. Over the last 25 miles of the race the standings were constantly changing! Cowboy was throwing out the bones to ensure the win! Cowboy also holds the overall Fantasy lead.

There a only 12 races left until the playoffs, so use your Fantasy picks wisely!

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Thanks for the update on the new track aspect...!
I thought for sure osby had the 600 locked up. I was unable to watch the race due to prior plans. Last time I checked I was in 3rd...went to bed. Got up the next morning to watch the end of the race then checked Fantasy and was surprised.

Stay safe everyone in these hard times...buy more ammo...!

aspeck

Staff member
It has been a good race so far … 24 laps to go, 9 different leaders, Joey currently leads by a second.

aspeck

Staff member
Cole Custer spins out with 19 laps to go to bring out the 9th caution.

aspeck

Staff member
Justkiddin takes the Fantasy win. I would say we have to wait till Tuesday, but he holds a 37 point lead over Jip in second place.

aspeck

Staff member
It is official… Justkiddin smoked us all! Now on to Sonoma!