Enging mount questions.

thegrizzly1

Cadet
Boat: 1984 Sea Ray SRV 187, Merc 470, ~ 1600lbs

I would like more power and have been thinking about swapping in a 4.3L V6. Yes, I know everything from the transom forward will have to be replaced. My question is on the front engine mounts. I know several Sea Ray boats of this era and size were available with factory V-6's. I can not find any factory information on this particular boat, but I would think I have stringers located for a V-6 mount. Would these stringers be visible in the engine well. I guess what I am looking for are pictures of an existing V-6 installed with the focus on the front mounts.

If I have stringers in the correct locations, I am assuming I can lag bolt down the front engine mounts in their new proper location. (The 470 has the centered front mount. I will need 2 new front mounts, one on each side.)

Advice/pictures greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Enging mount questions.

Most boats were available with a variety of engines. They would have made the mounts for all of them since they would make the boats and put engines in them after they were built.

I would bet that you have the mounting pad/stringers there.

If not, Since you'll have the engine out and room to work you can easily put those pads in there and glass them in. You might want to clean up the engine compartment anyway so doing a little grinding/sanding/glassing/painting will be a good start on that.....

If it were me I would put a V-8 in it.....but a V-6 will probably run pretty nice in there.

Cheers,

Rick

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Enging mount questions.

Sterndrive gear ratio.

thegrizzly1

Cadet
Re: Engine mount questions.

Actually it wasn't me in a previous thread on this subject. I believe most of the V6's had the same ratio. If I went to a V8, I definitly would need a ratio change or drastic prop change. I'm really looking for some pictures of a V6 or even a V8 mounted in a hull.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Try the Restoration forum for pictures of Rebuilds...

Motor mounts are usually just glassed into where ever you need them when hanging a new different motor...
There's Alot of other things that gotta happen before you get to There...