Enging blowing up?

vdimenna

Seaman
I have a 1996 200 ocean runner. Over the winter I went through the carbs and changed all the fuel lines to resolve a stalling issue. Took it for a run and it seemed to be good a few weeks ago.
Decided to take it out yesterday and while it I was accelerating all of a sudden it started to knock. No warning lights came (temp,oil..). Slowed to check it out and it stalled. I pulled all the plugs and they look fine. Let it cool down, went to start it and the knock wasn't audible, though I only limped it home. I won't idle though.
I was planning on doing a compression check but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks
Vic

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Enging blowing up?

Nope, you're on the right track, a compression check.

vdimenna

Seaman
Re: Engine blowing up?

Did a compression check, 90 across the board except for the bottom port cylinder. It had 30.

I disassembled the carbs over the winter and cleaned them, is there something I might have missed which could have leaned that cylinder out. It was running the best it's ever run before this happened. The plug looked good (just like the others).

Is there anything else I should check before I go for a powerhead?

Thanks
Victor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pull the head and exhaust covers, see what you find. may be repairable.

vdimenna

Seaman

Other than a possible leaky head gasket, is there anything else I can look for?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check for scratches in the cylinder wall, aluminum on the cylinder walls and damage to the piston. if none of these are visible, a new head gasket (actually it is just an Oring and some sealer) may fix you up

vdimenna

Seaman

I will pop it off. The only thing concerning me, is I heard an audible knock coming from the engine when this all went down.

Almost as if the piston was slapping the cylinder wall. How can that happen and there not be some permanent damage.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bearing on crank. there is going to be damage, how much we don't know.

vdimenna

Seaman

I'm going to pop the cylinder cover off today.
Is it possible to slip the rod and piston out with the power head still mounted?

vdimenna

Seaman

Took it off and found a big chunk of piston missing right near a port. Looks as if the ring might have gotten stuck and took out the piston.
I also noticed a groove in the cylinder wall opposite the damaged piston.

Is this common or should I be looking for the cause? The top of the piston looked normal (other than the missing piece). Don't want to fix the power head to find happening again.

Thanks
Vic