engines ana motors

randy

Recruit
I have a 85hp mercury '76 model. I recently replaced the water pump on the lower unit. when placing back together the shift from foward to neutral to reverse was reversed. I have taken back apart several times to move the shift shaft ,but when together. I either get every thing reversed or stuck in foward only. cables have not been touched to be reversed nor has the shift lever housing

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: engines ana motors

Hi Randy,<br />Having fun yet
biggrin.gif
<br />Shift control box into F and then to WOT.<br />Take LU while looking down at shift shaft.<br />Turn it counterclockwise till it clicks into neutral.Propshaft will turn either way without turning the driveshaft. Then turn it<br />1 click clockwise to forward gear and install.(hopefully)<br />...let me know...corm

randy

Recruit

corm,<br /> thanks for the advise. I had a little trouble at first. The shifter must have been moved because, it didn't shift properly. Was still backwards, off 1/4 inch. Shifted to neutral off 1/2 inch. shifted to reverse and it lined up perfectly. Works like a charm. :cool <br />]Originally posted by corm:<br />Hi Randy,<br />Having fun yet
biggrin.gif
<br />Shift control box into F and then to WOT.<br />Take LU while looking down at shift shaft.<br />Turn it counterclockwise till it clicks into neutral.Propshaft will turn either way without turning the driveshaft. Then turn it<br />1 click clockwise to forward gear and install.(hopefully)<br />...let me know...corm
[/quote]

randy

Recruit

Originally posted by randy:<br />corm,<br /> thanks for the advise. I had a little trouble at first. The shifter must have been moved because, it didn't shift properly. Was still backwards, off 1/4 inch. Shifted to neutral off 1/2 inch. shifted to reverse and it lined up perfectly. Works like a charm.
cool.gif

randy

Recruit

corm,<br /> thanks for the advise. I had a little trouble at first. The shifter must have been moved because, it didn't shift properly. Was still backwards, off 1/4 inch. Shifted to neutral off 1/2 inch. shifted to reverse and it lined up perfectly. Works like a charm.
cool.gif