Engine won't stop (with key) - 1996 Evinrude E40TLEDS

tmljunkmail

Seaman
1996 Evinrude 40 Hp -- E40TLEDS

Got the old pontoon out of storage and had a heck of a time getting it started (thanks weekend marina mechanic for filling the carbs with oil when you fogged).

Got though that problem. Runs as expected now, but won't turn off with key.

I checked the wiring and nothing looks like it was chewed or broken. My understanding from reading is that this might have something to do with the Black/Yellow wire. Ignition switch was installed at beginning of season last year and worked fine all season. Nothing seems out of the ordinary there. Nothing appears to be disconnected at the powerhead.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Find the black / yellow wire coming out of the power pack. Ground that out. If the mtr stops you have boat wiring probs. If not you have motor probs.

tmljunkmail

Seaman
Ok.......now I feel dumb. I tried what I thought would be grounding out the problem, but now I'm not sure I did it correctly. So at the risk of sounding stupid (too late likely) can you explain what you mean? I tried taking that lead and jump it to the negative battery terminal. Nothing happened. So, assuming I did it correctly, I guess that means I have a motor problem?

tmljunkmail

Seaman
No Title

UPDATE.....

Ok.....so I dug around some more and found this black/yellow wire just hanging out (it had a black protective sleeve on it). Not sure where it goes. It did not seem to be stripped from a prior connection. Not sure if it was connected to the wire block. Looks like there is a missing something at the second spot.

I tried touching it to the empty slot.....nothing.

Tried jumping it to the negative on the battery......nothing.

Where do I connect this thing?? Does it have anything to do with my engine not shutting off?

Attachments

• photo245862.jpg
    photo245862.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 0

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Tjm turn key off then touch it to a shinny spot on motor

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can't see the end of the wire very good but it looks like it was pulled out of one of those connectors is there a red connector on the other side:)

tmljunkmail

Seaman
Tried touching to a "shiny spot" on engine. Nothing.

Clueless as to where this wire attaches.

Do I have a power pack problem?

mfab

Recruit
believe that boat has 2 black wires to magneto from the ignition switch. chek both wires from switch to mag or mag to switch for connection.Look to switch information to understand how 2 wires allow engine to start and stop