Engine Won't Start

borourke

Seaman
Let me start with the basics. The engine is a 5 liter Volva Penta with an SX out drive. Today for the boat would not start. I had spark and was getting fuel as it would kick over, but as soon as you would let the key go back to the running position it would die. If you kept the key in the starting position it would stay runnning. <br /><br />A friend of mine who has a Volvo engine, but of a diirent year and size said he had a similar issue and it ended up being the starter. <br /><br />Anyone have any thoughts or if addition information is needed to diagnose, please let me know. Trying to have the boat ready for memorial day weekend. :eek:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine Won't Start

With ignition switch in the run position is there power to the coil? Doesn't sound like the starter if its turning it over good.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My guess is your friend had an older Volvo with a points distributor. The starter solenoid provided power to the coil during starting. But you don't have that. What is the full Model number of your engine, or even a serial number would help. Nothing with an SX drive had points, but the did have different distributors and electrical systems.

borourke

Seaman

Don,<br /><br />I will have to go and look up the information you asked for, I do not have that handy right now. I can say it is on an '04 boat so it is fairly new. I will reply back tonight when I get home.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brian

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the lanyard switch is off to me.