Engine Will Not Stop

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I cranked my E90TLEND today and when I went to turn it off it would not. I took the key out and everything. I then checked the continuity of the remote control with the wiring harness and everything looks good. Is there some connection on the engine I should check that would cause this to happen? Thanks for the help.

William

Rick.

Captain
Re: Engine Will Not Stop

Not sure about wiring. I have heard of situations where the heads are badly carboned up and an engine won't shut down. The carbon starts to glow red and even though the ignition is turned off the motor will continue running as it gets ignition from the carbon. I guess you could pull the plug wires to prove or disprove that event. If it is carbon a good decarb would be the fix. Best of luck. Rick.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

On my boat(i believe they are all the same) it is the yellow wire, there is a break in it somewhere.

Had the same thing with mine after I unplugged the big red plug, it is an odd situation though.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Rick. what you are speaking of is a runaway, they usually run wide open and will not shut down. the only thing you can do is take away the fuel, or FLOOD it.

either he has a broken wire, or a bad ignition switch, or connection.

Rick.

Captain

TD. Thanks for that. Why would a runaway run at WOT? I would have thought it would run at whatever speed the throttle was set for. Thanks, Rick.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I cranked it a few times and yes I have recently unplugged the big red connector. It would either immediatly cut off, run for about ten seconds, or run for several minutes before it finally cut off.

jonesg

Admiral

Maybe try cleaning the contacts in the red plug, some CRC electrical connector cleaner in the aerosol can followed by the white lithium to seal moisture out. Otherwise break out the multimeter and a long peice of wire, track it down.

After-running , or dieseling, is often caused by carbon.

Runaway, I think, is due to no load on the engine, ignition probably arcs right across the kill switch. Either way I'd choke it out rather than lean it out.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I traced mine back to something inside the plug and wound up just wiring around it using a male/female connector, then wrap it in black tape to ensure it isn't comming unplugged.

Try cleaning and repluging before you cut it.

Just to be clear, you can start the engine and it runs normally it just won't turn off but it isn't going to a runaway condition correct?

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes that is correct. It runs fine and idles fine it just does not want to turn off.