Engine tune-Up nad Oil Change

jlcalbre

Cadet
I'm about to change my oil and rplace my spark plugs in a Ford 351 inboard. Any reason i can't use a regular old Fram oil filter and automotive spark plugs or do I need to shell out the money for "Marine" parts? Also, any suggestions on oil? I've always used 10w-30 in every motor I've ever owned. I've never really understood the difference in the numbers. Thanks.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Engine tune-Up nad Oil Change

eagh.... automotive plugs will work but there is a difference in metals for marine plugs. Its not a safety thing, but more of a will it fire correctly under heavy load and come out after a season without breaking thing.
Use whatever oil you want, just use a high quality oil and not walmart brand junk. As far as the filter goes, you can do much better than fram. Go to a Napa and buy one a Napa branded filter. Much better than anything at autozone.
With oils, the first number, the W number is winter weight. Or basically how thin it will stay when the oil is very cold. The second number is how thick the oil stays when the oil is hot.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine tune-Up nad Oil Change

Use automotive or marine spark plugs, your choice. Put some antisieze on the threads. Use the specific oil the manufacturer suggested. Normally it is SAE-30 or SAE-40 or some specific multi-vis motor oil made for inboard engines.