Engine Tilt Fluid Changout for I/O

Jake007

Seaman
I was removing my tilt reservoir from the bracket to cleanup rust and repaint the bracket. I opened one of the fittings and notice the fluid that came out did not look a consistent color, almost greyish milky. So I am thinking I may have got some salt water intrusion in the system.
Engine and drive: 5.0 Litter volvo penta, alpha 1, 1998 Cobalt boat

Q1. What fluid should I use to top off or refill the system? I seem to remember someone in the past saying transmission fluid or power steering fluid or something like that? I called a boat supply store and they indicated there is fluid made just for this system, tilt fluid. Any idea on system capacity of fluid for a drain and refill?

Q2. If I want to drain and replace the fluid, what is the procedure?
Here is my guess, comment to correct:
Open the lowest 2 nuts on each side of the lower unit, drain. Open the upper two nuts on each side of the lower unit, drain. empty the tank reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid. Open the two upper nuts on the lower unit drain until clear. Open the two lower nuts on each side of the lower unit, drain until clear. Do I need to turn on pump at any time to push fluid?? What about the fluid in the cylinder pistons on each side of the engine?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine Tilt Fluid Changout for I/O

Engine and drive: 5.0 Litter volvo penta, alpha 1, 1998 Cobalt boat

Ayuh,... So what have you Really got....

Alpha 1 is a Mercruiser drive, Not Volvo....

Jake007

Seaman
Re: Engine Tilt Fluid Changout for I/O

I guess the Alpa 1 must have been from my last boat..... this is a Volvo Penta 5.0 GI....