Engine temps?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was reading a few other thread which were talking about engine temps and how hot is too hot. I was wondering, what the best way to check the engine temp on an older motor that has no temp gauge? What about one of those point ans shoot temp gauges? Many people in the other thread mentioned holding your hand on the cylinder head to determine temp. I've only got a few minutes on my motor ('79 Johnny 25) in the water. I replaced the water pump and now get a nice strong **** stream. But I remember the other day after returning to the dock I took the cover off the motor and while fiddling with it noticed that the crankcase seemed pretty hot. Hot enough that I couldn't hold my hand on it very long. Some of the threads I read say that you should be able to hold your hand on the head indefinately. Thats not the case with mine. When I get the power pack replaced this weekend I will be sure to run more tests. But in terms of degree's, what temp is too hot?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine temps?

Can't tell you the exact temp. but the way I put it is:"too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you".<br /> You may want to look for a thermostat(usually on the head.You can check it in a pot of water on the stove I believe it is suposed to open at about 140 degrees.<br /> When first turned off there will be some residual heat that could make surfaces feel hotter than normal.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by steelespike:<br /> too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you".
If that is the case I might be on track. It certainly didn't burn me, but I wouldn't want to hold it no there for more than a few seconds.<br /><br />I'm looking to get a thermostat as you mentioned. Just a little concerned about putting it on. I guess I have to remove the back plate off the crankcase and don't want to screw anything up.

SiggiJo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wanted to know both cylinder head temperature and cooling water pressure and installed gauges for both. Both bought new on Ebay for total of about $60. Temp gauge is made by Teleflex and the sending unit is attached by a bracket to one of the cyl head bolts. Water pressure gauge is original OMC and simply tees into the **** stream line. I´d regard both of these as essential to keep an eye on the health of the engine and should alert you to any problems before any serious damage is done.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the thermostat at advance auto of all places. They actually had it in stock. It came with a small black gasket. However, they didn't stock a water cover gasket and I'm a little concerned that if I attempt to change it the gasket might break or tear. That would set me back another week because I'd have to mail order the part. uhhggg........

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The point & shoot guns are fine. I wish I had one. You can also use temperature sticks. My 110 should operate around 140-145 degrees so with one one at 160 you know that you are not OK if the 160 melts. I have both a temp Gage & pressure gage.<br /><br />I have never seen a post say that you should be able to put your hand on a head indefinitely - - a few seconds is OK though.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I've made too much out of what I've read. I've been under the impression that if the motor is properly cooled I should pretty much be able to hold my hand on it as long as I want. Where can I get heat sticks?