engine swap volvo penta

kenagain

Cadet
Re: engine swap volvo penta

I could not find anything to tell me how to test it on the pertonix site, just basic how to install it. If anyone knows how to check it let me know. Iwas told to hook it up to an ohm meter n turn it over to see if it works. I have not done that yet. by looking at the rotor at TDC it is past where the plug wire is, might be one tooth out on the distributor too. The perils of a used boat engine

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a troubleshooting link to Hot Spark: http://www.hot-spark.com/Troubleshooting.pdf. The continuity checks should be the same for both brands. If you suspect the conversion kit itself may be the problem, it may be easier to straighten out the timing and spark issues using the conventional points system first.

You previously mentioned that you wanted to install front engine mounts. It's up to you, but keep in mind that many of these 4 cyl engines have been running for 30+ years without problems using the cantilever method.

kenagain

Cadet

Thanks for info pertronix is toast, ordered new hotspark. the front mounts came with the engine, right side is also alternator mount. I am questioning the oil pan on this engine, it is wedge shaped, rear sump unlike mine on the AQ125 which is square shape with rear sump. Possible car engine?? It is about rusted thru so I am changing it also. Going to replace freeze plugs on exhaust side also look like steel. Intake side already done. Head n Intake look like been replaced recently along with intake. Bottom end in excellent shape too.