engine stands? Designs, sales? etc?

sincraft

Seaman
I looked around for boat engine stands and couldn't find any...possibly looking up the wrong terminology. Just wondering what everyone does when they work on their engines? <br /><br />I'd like to find something that will collapse down to a storable product that can also lock the engine and the stand itself to a more permanent structure..<br /><br />If anyone has a design for one could you let me know please? I love building stuff hehe :) what's great is I have to. SO I dont have to hear 'what are you doing now!' :) <br /><br />S

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: engine stands? Designs, sales? etc?

My engine stand is almost 15 feet long and sits on a boat trailer. Just kidding, but I do all my work with the outboard on the boat.<br /><br />I haven't seen any designs, I'm afraid, but it would be an interesting project. I'm thinking something along the lines of a folding sawhorse, but with a vertically-oriented top. You can buy folding sawhorse brackets fairly reasonably. Might be a starting point.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The subject has been discussed before, and there's some nice pics:<br /> Click here. Follow the links in it to find more.<br /> Another, click here. <br /><br />Those are all static ones, but with a couple hinges and latches you could make them collapseable. My one is actually collapsable, but I've never actually collapsed it. There seems to always be an outboard or two on it.<br />A design suggestion is to have the front wheels or skids kick out at least 10" in front of the mounting board if you want to tilt your engine up on it. When I chopped up my outboard stand to make it smaller (it has an unusual use heritage) I only kicked them out a couple inches. When you tilt the outboard up the center of gravity shifts forwards and the stand can fall over frontwords. Especially if there's some tools on the shelf.<br /><br />Good luck with your project!

sincraft

Seaman

hehe thanks. Sounds great, gonna check out the links when the boss leaves and I clear up this pile of paperwork on my desk. <br /><br />I was originally thinking of something along the sawhorse design but it must be able to take a full tugs as I test her out with a water trough below. So that said - I'm going to make the worlds least expensive, functional stand possible instead of making it a two week project eheh. Who knows however, you know how these things start with 2x4's and end up stainless steel, welding torches and late nights. :D <br /><br />S