Engine sounds like bolts

buncobabe

Recruit
Help with my VP 4.3 please. When I start the engine it there is a sound that sounds like a bucket of bolts coming from the front of the motor. We can't determine what is causing this sound. Here is a history that leads up to the problem:
1. Water in Oil
2. Took to shop: Ran compression test and dyno: couldn't find issue with where water was coming in. Took home and did the following: Replaced from the heads up.
3. Replaced exhaust risers, manifolds, spark plugs, rebuilt heads, replaced seawater pump.
4. We have pulled both belts off: no change.
5. Pulled the time cover and noticed that the chain is a little loose is it supposed to be loose or tight?

What could be causing my engine to sound like bolts?
Thanks,
Rick and Susan
Tampa Florida

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine sounds like bolts

What is the FULL model of your engine. Click here for a Volvo Bulletin showing how and where to find that number.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Is it still getting water in the oil after all the work?

With all that water in the oil, you may have spun a bearing.

There should be no more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch play in the timing chain.

Try running it for 30 seconds without the belts on it and see if the noise goes away.

Sometimes noise travel in engines, you can have a u-joint go out on the drive and swear the dampner on the front of the motor is going to fall off. Get a stehescope and pinpoint the noise.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There should be no more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch play in the timing chain.

Don't be so sure of that, that is exactly why I ask for a year. newer are close to 1/2"

Robj

Lieutenant

Get a mechanics stethoscope to try and find where it is coming from. If you think it is the chain poke around the cover to see if you can locate the source. Another thing you can do is with heavy workgloves and insulated pliers remove one plug wire at a time to see if the noise goes away. If it does, that is the cylinder that is causing your problems. Be careful not to get zapped.

Have a great day,

Rob.