Engine sometimes creeps back on trim, fixable?

JARB

Seaman Apprentice
I have a small problem with my trim/tilt system on my 1997 Yamaha 90hp. If I trim the engine all the way down (in) and then starts to trim up it creeps back again relatively fast. To get rid of it I have to tilt the engine all the way up and back again. After that it works perfectly normal until the next time I trim all the way in..

I cannot find any visible leaks. Do I have air trapped in the system or is it a valve that?s not working properly? I can live with it beacuse I don?t have to trim all the way down to get on plane but if it?s an easy fix and want to repair it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine sometimes creeps back on trim, fixable?

most likly going to be the orings on the trim pistons or the manual release valve.
there is a few more isues it can be but they tend to get expensive.

JARB

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Engine sometimes creeps back on trim, fixable?

Thank you very much for your answer rodbolt. So you think it is most likely an O-ring leaking. What confuses me is that it only creeps down if it has been trimmed all the way down. If I stay in the range and not go all the way down it never creeps down. So air in the system is out of the question cause I don?t think I will change the O-rings on the rods before the outer seals are leaking and so far they are not.