Engine shuts down

Flames

Seaman
Hello everyone, I am having trouble once again with my Sea Ray.<br /><br />I can not get it to go over 1700 RPM's , it lose's spark, I can put it in reverse and get to 3000 rpm's and more with no problems.<br /><br />I ca bring the shifter back to nutrel and back up to a higher rpm and it wont die but if I leave it foward it will die.<br /><br />Is there something in the shifter that cuts the spark off?<br /><br />Any help please, Rudy

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Engine shuts down

Check to see if your shift linkage is stiff or way out of adjustment. It sounds like the shift intrupter system is activating in fwd. gear.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When in neutral does is idle smooth, then when you put it in gear (fwd) does it idle rough. If so, that is another indication of a stiff/bad shift cable or linkage as seahorse mentioned.<br /><br />PS: When was the last time the engine was tuned up?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

If it is your ESA acting up you need to have 2 things wrong, first check the interupt switch to see if it's hanging up on the side of the v shaped notch bracket, the switch should be riding in the middle of the notch after shifting, if it's on the side then it's trying to activate the ESA module however the overstroke switch should prevent the ESA from energizing while in gear. See this attached link for a diagram. Item 55 (around the middle)is your shift arm (has the 2 cables attached to it) on the back are cams that activate the overstroke switch when in gear, maybe a cam is out of adjustment or even missing? 1986 3.0 ltr Cobra shift arm asm

Flames

Seaman

I have two switches, 1 with an arm and 1 with a button on it, should the one with the button be touching the cam or in front or in the rear of the cam?<br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Flames

Seaman

Don and Seahorse, the shifter shifts just like it always did, smoth, it idles fine, just tuned it up last weekend.<br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Rudy....the one with the arm is the interrupt switch and the one with the button is the overstroke switch which should be touching a cam when in either forward or reverse (Different cams) If I remember right one cam is fixed but the other one is adjustable.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

When you are in forward gear, look at the switch with the lever on it. The lever should rest in the middle of the "V". If it's not, you need to adjust cables or replace them if they stick.<br /><br />If it still shifts smooth, my $$ is on that there is a little bit of cable stretch and the cable is now just a little out of adjustment. Follow the steps in the stuart site above and you should be OK.

Flames

Seaman

thanks Don, Bob, and Steve.<br /><br />Which one is the ESA module?<br /><br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

The ESA module is black and is usually mounted on a bracket next to the carb. Just follow the wires from those 2 switches, it will have a couple of connectors, 1 4 pos with black and blue wire and the other 2 pos with purple and grey wire.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks Bob, I know what it is now, I will take it out and let ya'll know .<br /><br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Flames, just put it in gear and check that switch with the lever. If it's not resting in the center of the V when in gear, that's your problem.

Flames

Seaman

Thank you all very much, I adjusted the cable and it works great, and, it even shifts alot better now.<br /><br />I do have another problem now, the tach is reading way too high now. It says the motor is turning over 6000 rpm's and I know it's not. <br /><br />Why did adjusting the cable make the tach screw up?<br /><br />Thanks again, Rudy