Engine Shipping HELP!!?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry if this is not topic related, but I figured it would be a good place to ask. :confused: <br /><br />I am looking to ship an engine from Florida to MAine. The eng. is in Florida and I am in Maine. And I have to set up all shipping, but I have no clue where even to start!!<br /><br />Any companies you all could recommend? Transit time dosent matter it could take 3 week, I am in no hurry. I would rather have chaper rates.<br /><br /> :cool: <br /><br />thanks <br />David

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Engine Shipping HELP!!?

captkid, Just look for a local,good sized Freight Company.They will do all the work.You will probably be responsible for packing.See if you can find a local engine rebuild company,and buy the proper wood cradle to hold the engine.Strap engine to the cradle,cover (wrap) with heavy plastic,and properly label it.Keep openings for fork lifting visible.<br />DHP

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DHPMARINE<br /><br />the problem is, is that I am on the recieving end of the shipment ;) <br /><br />I am buying a used engine and having it shipped to me here in Maine, so do I still want to find a frieght company here in Maine or Florida?<br /><br />thanks for all your help!!

Walt T

Lieutenant

Is the seller going to package it?<br />You will have to call a freight company such as Swift or Yellow Freight. They can send someone to package it for you and get it ready to ship. It will cost you. Crates arent cheap.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am checking now to see if the seller has a crate... Yellow Freight or Swift, with the ship also? or do the just crate up the engine?<br /><br />sorry for the stupid questions :D

Walt T

Lieutenant

Most freight companies offer crating service also.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just called UPS and ther said $366.52 from Florida to Maine... would a common carrier be cheaper?<br /><br />david

18rabbit

Captain

Will the folks that are providing the engine prep it for shipping? Was this bought at auction?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

won at auction...<br /><br />got a quote from EZFreightrates.com<br /><br />$246.00 and possibly lower... <br /><br />thanks for ALL of your help!!!!

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool. Pays to shop around.
no doubt about that.. if anyone can find me a cheaper deal or site, let me know<br /><br />thanks again for all your help<br /><br />david

Bondo

Staff member

Do You have any Snowbird Friends,<br />Who'll be returning to Maine from Florida ????????<br /><br />Been There,<br />Done That.................. :D

18rabbit

Captain

Captkid - I think I know what you did. :) The engine is probably strapped to a pallet and ready to go. You just need to give permission for the shipping co to pick it up.<br /><br />I purchased something similarly and found other shippers were less expensive...but EZ was less hassle.