Engine sat for 3-4 years, What needs to be done

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
It is a 1984 Evinrude 90 HP V4 with VRO.

I have to replace the cracked VRO oil tank and all the fuel lines. I will also change the lower unit oil and clean the filter bowl when I drain the carbs.

Owner says it ran perfect before he got sick and also claims it was winterized that last year and has not been run since.

I am fearful of the VRO system and don't know if there is a way to be sure it is functioning right. No oil would be real bad. Does the new tank need some priming sequence? Short of what I mentioned and changing the plugs and giving each cylinder a shot of mystery oil spray is there other things I should do before I bring her back to life?

Gary

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Engine sat for 3-4 years, What needs to be done

read the top secret file on the top thread. a lot of great info.:cool:

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent info! Thank you all for the guidance.

Time to find the manual and order up some parts.

Do we have a preference as to which manual would be best for a 1984 E 90ML engine.

Rick.

Captain

Buy an original OMC manual for your specific model. Others will prove to be junk. I buy them on Ebay but you can get them at
outdoormotors.com
Best of luck. Rick.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

outdoormotors took me to a wheel place and i can't seem to locate the correct manual for my particular motor.
All the ones I do see cover a wide range of various engines that include the V4 I have.

I just don't know these things but is it possible there is no such manual for a 1984 Evinrude 90 HP, V4 Model E90 ML-CRD???

gary

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The publisher is Ken Cook. If they don't have a model specific book, there are not likely to be any available. http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.main

When you enter your model number, leave the trailing D off; that's for a factory run and the books are by not specific to factory runs.

Part # 394607 covers all of the model year 1984 recreational J/E motors 2HP through V6, including yours. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984...10238355133QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Ezeke.

Looks like Cook has a manual but hard to tell if it is for my motor specific. Way too pricey there however and I had looked at the other one you pointed out at the auction and it is probably the best I can afford at this point while I am dropping many dollars into a hole in the water trying to get it seaworthy.

Wish I had a dollar for every manual I have purchased and only ever used once or twice for a simple procedure.

Gary

Rick.

Captain

sorry about this misdirection Gary. You won't be wasting your money on this manual. They are very helpful for many routine repairs and priceless for some of the not-so routine repairs. Rick.