engine running bad fuel pump?

cgast123

Cadet
was wondering if the engine can suck fuel through the fuel pump. Im still new with outboards and im trying to learn as much as i can. I have a 70hp johnson (1981) that will run ok but seems like it will flood out doesn't run very good through the lower rpms either. I took it out last weekend and had a new problem ive never had, this is why im asking about the fuel pump. started it up started to venture out and it would die pumped up primer took off it would die. let it run while pumping ball and it woudl stay running adventually i stoppe pumping ball and it never died again the rest of the day even after long shutoff times. Im wondering can the fuel pump leak into the engine through the crankcase and cause it to run bad? I know that a weird question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: engine running bad fuel pump?

If pumping the primer bulb makes the engine run properly, it is usually a sign of a bad fuel pump. Your pump is remote mounted, check the pulse line from the block to the pump and see if it is cracked or broken.