Engine review

Sawz

Cadet
I have tried searching somewhat for any threads that had a review for people buying boats, and what to stay away from . If there is such a thread I would appreciate someone directing me to it.

If not, from what you all know if you were a first time used boat buyer and had the knowledge you have what engine/sterndrive combos would you stay away from?

I posted this in here because of all the systems Mercruiser seems to be the most reliable and have parts available better

I grew up with an older bellboy with an omc outdrive that we either had to paddle in sail in ( with the top up) or get pulled in on a consistant basis, enough that I would not walk but run from any boat with an omc on it you can call it PTSD if you want.

But in a search for a better combination what is the ultimate now on the market for different sizes and years of course
maybe catagorize them in like the 70's 80's and 90's

I now have a 73 165 inline 6 that seems to be fairly reliable ( after I get the bugs worked out)

what are your thoughts?

a

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine review

I have tried searching somewhat for any threads that had a review for people buying boats, and what to stay away from . If there is such a thread I would appreciate someone directing me to it.

If not, from what you all know if you were a first time used boat buyer and had the knowledge you have what engine/sterndrive combos would you stay away from?

I posted this in here because of all the systems Mercruiser seems to be the most reliable and have parts available better

I grew up with an older bellboy with an omc outdrive that we either had to paddle in sail in ( with the top up) or get pulled in on a consistant basis, enough that I would not walk but run from any boat with an omc on it you can call it PTSD if you want.

But in a search for a better combination what is the ultimate now on the market for different sizes and years of course
maybe catagorize them in like the 70's 80's and 90's

I now have a 73 165 inline 6 that seems to be fairly reliable ( after I get the bugs worked out)

what are your thoughts?

a

Ayuh,.... Rule #1,... Don't buy an OMC....

Rule #1,.... Don't buy a 470 Mercruiser....