Engine removal

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
Hello fellow boaters. I have just purchased a project boat that will keep me busy over the winter. It is a 1992 Bayliner 2855 ciera. It has a 454 merc with a bravo two drive. I need to pull the motor and was wondering if any of you might have any advice. Do I need to pull the outdrive? Are there any tricks I should know that might make the job easier? Thanks

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine removal

You need to pull the out-drive for sure....I would invest in the proper manuals for your engine & drive, before digging in.....And I would get it winterized to protect from freezing right away....Look in the 'search' function for info on that, while you are waiting for more input on your post....JK

TilliamWe

Banned

John, I would label all wires & tubes/hoses. If you have a digital camera, take before-during-after photos.<br />I also recommend taking the least amount of stuff off the motor as you possibly can. I know space will be limited, but if you can remove the engine with manifolds/riser, front accessories, bellhousing and the such attached, it'll be much easier to remove that stuff in your garage! Remember, those Mercruisers are kinda "plug and play" motors. Disconnect throttle/shift linkages, fuel line at carb, exhaust hoses, cable to battery, and the main plug, and there isn't much else holding it in. "All" the engines wires are on the engine, and will come out with it. Good luck!<br />Have someone to help you when you remove that drive, they are heavy! Or get/make a stand for it.

jmatteo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First, you came to the right place. If you are anyhting like me, you will find yourself searching the archives, reading as many posts as possible. Secondly getting the genuine manuals is a must. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess I must be different but I have pulled my 5.0 OMC several times with out pulling the drive with no trouble. In fact I did the work by myself with a chain hoist and a tree branch (true shade tree mechanic). I was just careful not to change the adjustments on the motor mounts and slid the engine back in no problem. First time was in 1990 and been running the same coupler since then.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

In the world of maintenance there are "acceptable methods and practices". <br />Example: You don't HAVE to buy the Mercruiser maintenance manual, you can save yourself money by purchasing a low cost aftermarket manual. Then spend the rest of your life asking questions on forums like this because your aftermarket manual states: "See manufacturer's maintenance manual."