Engine removal question

panhead

Cadet
Hey,

I am having to remove the engine in my Bayliner Capri 1950 to replace a part. The starter went bad, and one of the bolts sheared off when trying to remove it.

Do I have to pull the outdrive off first, or can I pull the engine out without having to do that?

Does anyone have any thoughts on a replacement starter?

Thanks

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine removal question

you should pull the drive cause you have to align everything up regardless. Otherwise you can damage your coupler, etc. and you'll be pulling the engine again. You can get the alignment tool on ebay for pretty cheap.

panhead

Cadet

Thanks

That was one of those things I was wondering, if I would be able to have everything lined up correctly.

Someone told me I could put an eye bolt in th top of the out drive when removing, is that true? The top of the outdrive does not really look that sturdy to hold itself.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What outdrive? Merc, OMC, Volvo?

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Panhead,
Yes, pull the outdrive. Get a buddy and have him help you wiggle it out of the drive coupler. Before you even start this project, get the correct manual from here on Iboats. If you don't have a manual, you will be going at it blind and will probably damage more than fix. I had the same problem with my 140 merc., had to drill and use an easy out to get the starter bolt out of the block. I used and engine stand and spun it upside down to drill it out.

panhead

Cadet

Thanks for the info.

I got a maual this afternoon from a local parts store. And me and a friend managed to get the outdrive off without any problems.

Question, when you turned used the engine stand to turn the engine over, did you drain the oil first? Seems like it would cause problems. I was planning on doing this anyway since I had the engine out, but was just curious.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I guess you don't want to answer what kind of engine and drive you have, and Bayliner used all models. I will just say that if you have a Volvo, you don't have to pull the drive, and depending on which engine you have, be careful when removing the rear bolts.

panhead

Cadet

Sorry, I was in hurry earlier. I have a 3.0 L OMC (has a GM stamp on the side of the block) with OMC Cobra outdrive.

I now have the motor out, but I am going to wait till tomorrow to look at replacing the starter and removing the bolt.