Engine problems...possibly water pump?

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
Lately I have been having a blast on the nearby lakes with my fairly new 1977 Glassmaster with a 1976 115hp Johnson engine. However, the last trip out the engine quit running. Before it quit, it started to act really weak. I was cruising in the no-wake zone in front of the marina and it sounded like it was going to die. I increased the throttle and it still sounded really bad. Soon thereafter it died. I removed the cover and the flywheel felt REALLY hot, though I'm not sure how hot a flywheel is supposed to be after all day of cruising full speed ahead. Anyway, I used my trolling motor to get back to the boat ramp (which took 1.5 hrs!). The flywheel still turns by hand.
Note: I purchased the boat used 3 months ago, but I was told it had a new water pump. However, the pee stream (or whatever it's called) did not look very strong but rather like a sparse spray out of the two little holes.

My question is: Could my engine be damaged? Should I take it to a professional repair shop, or is this something I could look into myself (I am an extremely novice mechanic)? Also, I'm not very rich, so I'm wandering how much this all might cost?

BIG THANKS for any adivce/input on this problem. I hope to get back on the lake soon.

Re: Engine problems...possibly water pump?

Well the ONLY way to know if the pump is pumping and is okay is to pull it. I'd say you should be able to touch the flywheel or leave your had there w/o a burn for a little while...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The spray you mention from the two little holes is not the tell tale. Those are bypass ports and they will never spray a great deal of water. It appears the engine is overheating due to a bad water pump, clogged water passages, or stuck thermostat. If it overheated to the point where it quit, you may have damaged the engine. A compression check is in order. Low compression would confirm that.

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice

I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but I took my boat to a professional mechanic today :$ I'll keep you updated on what the problem turns out to be. Thanks for the input though!