engine ping

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I have a 1988 mercruiser 3.0l. Runs really rough and will not get up on plane and engine also makes an intermittent pinging sound. Its not constant, just seems random. Of course, the higher the rpms the greater the frequency. Cleaned carb and changed filters. Any ideas?

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice
Re: engine ping

Check your timing and advance. inspect your cap roter and dwell(points gap).

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will check the point gap. How do I check the timing and advance?

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice

You need a timing light. You can pick up a cheap one from Auto Zone for about $35 bucks. Maybe they loan them out? It may come with directons.. or not. I would get a friend who knows how to do it and have them show you. It is easy, but hard to explain. Pinging is 99% caused by timing being too far advanced. If you get your hands on a timing light, post back and we'll walk you through it.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok. I got a timing light from my neighbor but he doesn't know how to use it. Can you tell me how? This would save the holiday weekend....

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice

Find out what the timing should be set at (8 BTDC, 12 BTD etc)

Hook up the light to the battery, and clip the clamp on the #1 spark plug wire (frst wire up front by the belt).

Start engineand let it idle at correct RPM's

Pull the trigger and point it at the top right side of the harmonic balancer (big bottom pully). You will see a metal tab with numbers on it. The light will show you where the line on the pully lines up on the tab. Yours may be way off so it may not register on the tab.

If it is off, adjust the timing bu loosening the distributer bolt under the distributer, and rotate the distrubuter a little bit left or right while the engine is running.

I know it sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Look for that tab with the numbers before you get started so you know where to point the gun.

Maybe you can google "how to use timing lihgt" and have a better description.

Tthe BEST way to adjust the ignition is with a dwell meter and a good timing light. Whenever the points are messed with, the timing should be checked.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm about to get started. Where is the distributor bolt located in case it is out?

TilliamWe

Banned

The distributor bolt is located at the base of the distributor where it goes into the block. Holds down a flat plate that holds the distributor in place. It better not be missing!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I really think he needs someone who has done it before to help him..
Got any mechanic friends?

How long has it been since a FULL tune up? New wires,cap,rotor,plugs,points ect...Then set the timing...:rolleyes: