engine over reving

z rated

Cadet
Hi everyone, im a new boat owner so bear with me. I bought a 2007 2100sc maxum last month and have about 20 hours on it so far. Its got a 5 litre 260hp mpi mercruiser on it. I was out today and had some issues for the first couple minutes. As soon as i pulled out of the harbour and went to ~3/4 full throttle (trim all the way down) the engine seemed to pop into neutral and the rpm's would shoot up. This was all before getting on plane. after this happened a couple times i turned off the engine, restarted moved the trim up and down popped it into reverse for a minute everything seemed to go back to normal and the engine was fine. Im thinking maybe it was because the temperature wasnt high enough :confused: that might be the reason but i doubt it, ive never waited any longer than i did today to get the rpm's up. any ideas? Also i might as well throw it in here now that ive made a thread, but ive been doing some reading on smart tabs, whats everyones ideas on them, and what size/brand would you recommend for a 21 footer? Thanks :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: engine over reving

My Guess is,.....

You picked up some Weeds coming out of the harbor.....

Going to Reverse would have cleared them,.....
That's why it started working Right......

freddyray21

Commander
Re: engine over reving

I put smart tabs on my 18ft Searay it's like adding 25 hp. The tabs have a chart for length of boat and hp. I would think you need the 80lb, but don't quote me on it.