Engine over heats

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Volvo 5.0 GL overheating! Checked vents and all hoses for some kind of blockage nothing found! Replaced sea pump. Replaced thermostat. Still overheating. Replaced circulation pump still overheating. Pulled lower unit check suction tube all good. What I’m I missing?! Not the gauge it’s getting very hot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
overheat is no flow

what drive? is the fitting on the front edge of teh drive that connects to the supply hose intact?

is water getting to the impeller?

is there debris in the PS cooler?

alldodge

Staff member
Get a short piece of clear hose from the hardware store, along with a double barbed fitting and hose clamps.

Place the clear hose at the thermostat housing and hose coming from pump. See if you see bubbles

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Ye
Get a short piece of clear hose from the hardware store, along with a double barbed fitting and hose clamps.

Place the clear hose at the thermostat housing and hose coming from pump. See if you see bubbles
s we done that it pump’s fine. Takes high RPM to sea pump to start pumping

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also don’t forget to also replace a scored wear plate in the impeller housing….

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Then there is a air leak between drive and pump.
Meaning the new impeller in the pump may have burned because it took to long to get water to it
Ever see a power steering cooler be plugged up? I’m thinking that’s got to be it

alldodge

Staff member
Ever see a power steering cooler be plugged up? I’m thinking that’s got to be it
Maybe, but a PS cooler has larger openings then a oil cooler, but something may have gotten in there which caused the restriction. If it did restrict water for even a few seconds the raw water pump impeller could be burnt and no longer pump

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe, but a PS cooler has larger openings then an oil cooler, but something may have gotten in there which caused the restriction. If it did restrict water for even a few seconds the raw water pump impeller could be burnt and no longer pump
Yes it’s burnt up a couple times already replaced 3 times

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How old is the motor? I had a similar problem that turned out to be a hole burnt in the dogleg tube between upper and lower units of the drive. It was sucking exhaust gasses as it runs inside the exhaust tube.

Attachments

• Raw Water Tube2.jpg
    Raw Water Tube2.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Stailess Tube.jpg
    Stailess Tube.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes water gets to sea pump but only high rpm
You have an inlet issue. Most likely a broken inlet fitting. Just follow the hose from the transom shield to the drive. That little white metal or plastic fitting is a common inlet issue

The PS cooler and the oil cooler use 1/4" OD tubing with 0.020" wall for the tube bundle. Doesn't take much to plug them with only a 0.21" ID in the tubes

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Yes it’s burnt up a couple times already replaced 3 times
Have removed all hoses and looked through them all clear no holes I think tomorrow I’ll remove steering cooler to to make sure
How old is the motor? I had a similar problem that turned out to be a hole burnt in the dogleg tube between upper and lower units of the drive. It was sucking exhaust gasses as it runs inside the exhaust tube.
pulled mine out looks like new

Paradise pontoon

Seaman Apprentice
Well here’s where I’m at! Pulled steering cooler, this type doesn’t have small holes. It has 1” hole through it. I haven’t found anything that would cause this problem. So I’m replacing everything that has to do with suction. I’ll let you know

Scott Danforth

Staff member
look at item #9. they are prone to failure

after that, look at seal #8

1720620983021.png

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those can crack esp if water was not drained out in winter.
The other thing that can cause trouble is the water tube grommets in the lower unit