engine oil

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
yes I did a search and cant find my answer could be my search techniques...anyway new motor rebuilt 350 5.7 gm motor in my boat omc sterndrive,,engine was bored over so the builder says it has 305 hp...I plan on starting it this weekend and would like to know what type of oil for the new motor I should use? how many hours of running and what should I use on the second oil change? thanks casting number on the block says it between the years 95-2000

vfrkent

Seaman
Re: engine oil

I would run Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic for both current and forward oil changes, Volvo calls for synthetic in its current power trains from GM, it will break-in fine on the synthetic and will protect from high oil temps under load.

Regards,
Kent

CobiaXL

Banned

I personally wouldn't use synthetic if your just breaking in the engine,I would use something with zinc in it.....I.E Valvoline racing oil 20/50w
Change the oil after 10 hours and then 2nd oil change would be oil of your choice.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did read that about not using syththetic on the first break in

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

It REALLY doesn't matter what oil you use.......Marine engines don't fail due to brand or type of oil. They usually fail from lack of oil, maintenance or freeze damage.

If you like, you can use the type of oil I use.......It's in my signature below.....

Cheers,

Rick

CobiaXL

Banned

For initial break-in,oil flavor does matter...Some are just too much lubricate to allow correct break-in of cam and lifters