Engine Oil Question

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice
The engine in my boat is a 98 Volvo 4.3L. The manual lists 20W-50 (synthetic) as an alternatve grade of oil I may use (they recommend the straight 30W synthetic, but that's hard to find unless you get the Volvo stuff). I LOVE Mobile 1 in all my other vehicles/engines so I went looking for this grade in Mobile 1. What I found is a 20W-50 that they call "V-Twin Motorcycle" Oil. It has all the certifications that the other oils have and it says its formulated to "higher reving engines" - sounds like a boat engine to me! I guess I'm afraid to use it because it's called "motorcyle oil." I guees what I'm looking for is some reassurance that this stuff would be OK in my boat engine. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Engine Oil Question

You would be fine with that, but I am coming to the conclution that 50 Weights have no real use anymore, either in streetcars or boats. Your manual probably lists a lower viscosity oil, for instance it mentions 30 weight, I would use the mobil1 10W-30 if it were me if you want to use Mobil. My self, being an Amsoil dealer, I would use the new 15W-40 Diesel Marine.

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I have heard really good things about Amsoil, I have a few friends that swear by it. I am mainly just looking for an alternative to the VOLVO synthetic 30W that the manual recommends since it is so expensive. I may try the Amsoil 15W-40 instead. Where's the best place to get the stuff? Haven't noticed it in local stores.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Nick, Mercury recommends 25W-40 for my Mercruiser 4.3 LX. (Of course Mercury sells this very oil.) The alternative oil is straight 40W. I use the 25W-40 since I go out in cold weather and think the straight 40W oil would be too thick at startup.<br /><br />I guess I think the 15W-40 (or especially 10W-30) would be too light for summer use.

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice

I doubt I will be doing any winter boating around here, around the end of october my boat goes into storage. In the summer months it's usually in the high 90's or over 100 (like it is today). So I'd imagine the heavier weights would be fine...I think

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be careful with the motorcycle oils, they may or may not be friction modified.

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice

Friction modified? What the heck does that mean? Is something I need or do not need?

LubeDude

Admiral

A 15W-40 is in no way to light for summer use. :confused: <br /><br />If you cannot find a local dealer, you can as a last resort click on my home site, or walleyeheds or Kelton Crews, Or go to www.amsoil.com.