engine oil leak

novelles

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I am new at the forum. I just discovered this web and it is the best forum I could find so I hope I can get some ideas.<br /><br />I have a bayliner with an I/O engine Mercruiser 3.0 LX. I had some oil in the bilge and at first I could not find where it came from. Now I see it leaking from the front of the engine, close to the support. After cleaning the lower part and running the engine it seems to leak from the detent or gasket that connects the crankshaft front to the wheel that mounts the belt to the water pump and alternator.<br /><br />The engine is seven years old and I have the following questions:<br /><br />Is there anyway to get it fixed or the leak blocked without taking the engine appart?<br /><br />Is this a serious damage?<br /><br />Should I rebuild the engine being just seven years old?<br /><br />Thanks a lot and sorry for the mistakes.

bob58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: engine oil leak

Sounds like it is a oil seal for the crank/timing cover. If so need to pull the crankshaft pulley to get to it. A good manual will guide you through the process.<br />If the engine is running good there is no need to rebuild it.<br />If there is a groove where the seal rides on the crank they make a speedy sleeve to remedy that so a new seal will "seal"<br /><br />Doesn't sound like serious damage.

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information.<br /><br />With the term "speedy sleeve", do you mean there is a way to repair the seal without removing it?<br /><br />If so, do you know how the solution is called?<br /><br />And if the crank seal has to be replaced, is that difficult to do? It seems that the engine support makes difficult to remove the pulley.<br /><br />Thank you

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

The "speedy sleeve" fits the crank area where the seal rides, if that area is too worn for a new seal to work. You'lll still have to replace the seal. <br /><br />I agree, try here on iboats, eBay or Amazon for a manual, it would be a wise investment if this is new to you. <br /><br />-Roger

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Another question, has anyone tried any of the products (wynns, redex) for engine oil leaks?<br /><br />If so, do they work at all?<br /><br />Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

spanishboy,<br />There is No "Cure in a Can"......!!!!! <br />If you're Not a Wrench, Have a Shop do it....<br />To a Non-Mechanic, it No Doubt,Looks like a Major Overhaul.... <br />It's Not....<br />A Reputable Shop Shouldn't hit you more than 2 or 3 Hours....<br />I can do it in Less than an Hour....<br /><br />The ONLY Fix is Replace the Seal......

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Hehehe, I liked that: "No cure in a can!!"<br /> :D <br />Thanks for the reply. I already ordered a manual on my drive, and considering I repair everything in my cars, do you think I should try to fix it myself?<br /><br />It seems you know what you are talking about.<br /> ;) <br />Thanks

Walt T

Lieutenant

Its a simple repair, take it to a shop, they'll fix it for you. There is no way to repair a leaking oil seal other than replacement.

Bondo

Staff member

considering I repair everything in my cars, do you think I should try to fix it myself?
Sure....<br />You'll need a Puller, for the crank hub.....<br />And an Alignment Tool, to realign the outdrive.....(Gotta remove the front motor mount)<br />Other than that, It's just Wrenching with Wrenches.....

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

How bad is this leak? If it's only a small seep you might be a long ways ahead to buy a pack of oil-absorbent pads and just add a liter now and then. As long as you check the oil regularly you won't damage anything else. Eventually something else will need repair and you can fix it while you're in there.

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo, thanks for the info, and airman, thats what I thought before, leave the leak and keep adding oil but my bilge is really a mess.<br /><br />There is no way to collect the oil and together with some remaining water in the bilge makes it look really bad. By now I keep cleaning now and then but it pi**es me off.<br /> :mad: <br /><br />I'll wait for the manual to come and see what I do.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> wow someone is full of hookey tonight.<br /> if this job can be accomplished in an hour I will give you my boat. if ya cant I want 2 grand:) :) . most of the problems like you described occur due to the circulating pump leaks some water and rusts the timing cover. a small pinhole appears and oil leaks out. most boats dont have enough clearence to pull the balancer much less for the tool to PROPERLY reinstall the balancer. DO NOT BEAT IT BACK ON.<br /> not only can the balancer be damaged {about 220 dollars}. all the hammering is transfered directly to the thrust bearing. thus damaging the bearing. thus it may need a crank job now that the oil leak is fixed. if the timing cover is rusted remove the engine and replace it. the "speedi-sleeve" is also a balancer repair sleeve and any napa store here can order one. order it for a 1960 153 CID chevy four cyl in a truck or nova. some of the new timing covers have the timing tab moved and will have instructions telling you what to do. you will need the driveshaft alignment tool to realign the engine. dont try it with just a used drive shaft. if you cant get the balancer installation tool then stand the motor on its flywheel end on a large block of wood making sure the flywheel is flat and its not sitting on the riser. carefully mark the balancer where it contacts the rubber. now you can tap it on with a dead blow or leather hammer. dont use a steel hammer.<br /> check the balancer when your done to make sure the outer ring has not moved. the job would have been easier if the crank was drilled for a bolt:(.<br /> while the engine is out carefully inspect the oil pan. again an early 60's nova oil pan will fit if you can find one. the marine from merc is almost 300 US.<br /> most of the timing gear cover rust outs and oil pan rust outs are due to leaking circulating water pumps. carefully inspect the seal vent hole on the underside of the pump. this job is not cheap but is not hard either. I did 6 of them in 2003. 3 in 2002. probably 30 or 40 in the past 15 years. <br /> good luck and keep posting but dont take unknown shortcuts

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I will wait for the manual to come and follow steps carefully. I'll check the timing cover and that area to see if there is something else wrong. I wonder if all that can be done without taking the engine out of the boat. It is now on the water and it won't come out till next spring for annual maintenance.