Engine not responding

FLOTETHEBOAT

Recruit
Hello everyone,
I just got a used pontoon. It runs pretty well. Has a 40 hp Evinrude. It has always cranked, but sometimes a little slowly. Went fishing last night. Cranked like new. When I tried to leave, it would do nothing. So, I hooked up the trolling motor by jumper cables and still nothing. Sure was grateful for the trolling motor ! I rode a short distance before tying up and noticed that the RPM gauge was almost 6,000 even at no wake speed. I thought it was just stuck. Absolutely didn't sound in distress at all. My radio and fish finder still runs off the battery. So, is it a motor issue or electrical ? Ideas to try ? Thanks for any help.

Lowe170

Seaman
Hello everyone,
I just got a used pontoon. It runs pretty well. Has a 40 hp Evinrude. It has always cranked, but sometimes a little slowly. Went fishing last night. Cranked like new. When I tried to leave, it would do nothing. So, I hooked up the trolling motor by jumper cables and still nothing. Sure was grateful for the trolling motor ! I rode a short distance before tying up and noticed that the RPM gauge was almost 6,000 even at no wake speed. I thought it was just stuck. Absolutely didn't sound in distress at all. My radio and fish finder still runs off the battery. So, is it a motor issue or electrical ? Ideas to try ? Thanks for any help.
I've read this several times and am confused. Outboard and trolling motor are two separate unrelated things. Sounds like you need to have someone look at the outboard and controls. Good luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Step #1 would be to ensure the shift mechanism is engaging the neutral start switch. If it isn't in neutral the engine will not crank.

Ruthcohen

Recruit
I think If the engine stops dead, the chances are that the fuse (if one is fitted) protecting the ignition coil has blown. If the ignition light will not come on but most of the electrics work this is almost certainly the problem. You can substitute a fuse of the correct size from another, less vital component and carry on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor.----Need model # or picture.----There is a fuse on a 2 stroke.----That fuse if blown won't stop a running motor.