engine no run,,, so whats new

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so i got a 470 put back in my boat... now i cant get her to run... I am not getting any power to the positive side of the coil when in run position...<br /><br />when is "start" positon I am getting juice to the positive side of the coil and she sounds like she wants to kick, but she dosent.<br /><br />I even tried a jumper from the positive bat terminal to the positive coil terminal... no go...<br /><br />any takers on this one? <br /><br />i did notice what seemed to be smoke coming out from under the dist cap after i accidently tried to start it with a jumper from the pos battery side to the neg side of the coil :( DOOHHH<br /><br />ok so what did I toast? :confused: <br /><br />thanks<br />david

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: engine no run,,, so whats new

ohh and I have replaced the ignition switch still no go

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so i replaced my coil... and still not getting any juice when in "run" position... and when i jump a positive like from the battery to the positive side of the coil and put a test light on the wire coming from the coil to the dist cap i am getting no juice?? <br /><br />hmmm

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where is the kill switch on this bad boy?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so just pulled the coil wire from the dist. and placed it next to a neg lead, and when cranking the engine i and getting a spark... but still not getting ant juice from the + side of the coil when in run position

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I don't have wiring diagram for your engine so I could be wrong here but on the normal points ignition you have 2 wires to the plus side of the coil and 2 wires on the negative side. The 2 plus wires, one comes from the start postion on the key, gives the coil a full 12v for easier starting, the second one usually comes through a resistor wire that drops it down to 7-9v to make it easier on the points, this should be live when the key is in the run position. The 2 wires on the negative side, one comes from the dist (points) and the other comes from the shift interupt switch, if this switch is closed or shorted you won't start because your coil is always grounded, pull this wire off coil to test start motor, if it starts don't try shifting until wire is back on.b

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bob... howdy :) <br /><br />ok so I think the idle was set way tooo low and thats one reason she wasent starting...<br /><br />so i disconnected the throtle cable so I could give is some juice and that seemed to work, i got her started, BUT (always a BUT :) ) i still have to have the jumper wire groing from the positive battery terminal to the positive terminal on the coil or she wont stay running... the min i remove the jumper she dies... also noticed i could start her with the key in the "off" position if I am using the jumper, is that normal?<br /><br />ok so where do i go now :) <br /><br />captkid

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Captkid<br /><br />Sounds like the resistance wire is open circuit. If it were me, I would go to a local auto parts shop and buy a coil ballast resistor, run a wire from the positive side of the electric choke (hope yours has electric choke) to one end of the resistor then from the other end of the resistor to the coil. That would fix the problem if you didn't want to buy a new harness from Mr Mercury. ;) <br /><br />Chris...........

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

achris,<br /><br />i would really like to chase the problem down... i guess my question really is... what are the issues that cause the prolems I am having? where should I start? are 470's known for anything like this?<br /><br />thanks again :) <br />kid

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Yes...you could start it with the key off and the jumper in place because you are bypassing the ignition key although you would have to jumper out the starting solenoid as well. As Chris said it sounds like your normal feed to the coil through the resistor wire is open, if you want to chase it down you need a wiring diagram for your motor, so you need a manual, even a Seloc or Clymers will have the wiring diags in them. I think Chris's idea to get a ballast resistor is a good one, I know the OMC shop manuals tell you to replace the wiring harness if the resistor wire goes. It sounds like you are really close to making it work.

achris

If you want a wiring diagram give me your e-mail and I'll scan it and send it to you.....<br /><br />Chris...........

achris

Something in the back of my memory tells me that Merc sell a replacement resistance wire. Let me do some research.....<br /><br />Chris........

achris

Found it. Merc part number is 84-94227A2. I also found that Mercruiserparts.com sell it, I can't find it on Seilermarine.com.<br /><br />Chris........