Engine muffs? Does it hurt the engine?

When you supply water to the engine with engine muffs, does it hurt the engine if the engine is running for an extended period of time...Plus, does it hurt the engine if it is running at a high r.p.m...<br /><br />When I was shopping for a boat, a few guys said "I don't like to run the engine on the muffs for long"...what about when you tune the engine, or winterize it?<br /><br />thanks guys..<br /><br />tony...

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Engine muffs? Does it hurt the engine?

You can run it as long as you want at idle, but don't go any higher than that with no load.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you can even run at fast idle 1000-1200.<br />keep anything more than that limited to the lake and in gear if possible.<br /><br />DO... keep an eye on the temp. The muffs have been known to slide off occasionally...

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with ZmOz and Rabidfish on the engine and RPM's. I don't think it will hurt. But I do believe that if you have to do a lot of troubleshooting on the muffs, it is rough on your impeller. That has been my experience.<br /><br />Dave..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Also make sure no one in your house decides to do the wash or take a shower when you are running on the muffs, it WILL overheat the motor.

KRS

Banned

Be sure the drive is down

steve reuter

Cadet

i ran my yamahas with muffs on and my overheat tones when off after a few minutes. the guys at yamaha said that happens not enough water gets in at pressure. so dont leave the boat (go get a beer) while the muffs are on and boats running.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Muffs are great when they stay on and when there are no kinks in the hose.Take an ice pick and push it through the center of the cup opposite the water intake side.Get the pick in the vent of the drive and that will keep it from sliding off which can easily happen.Also check and double check the hose for kinks.Charlie

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To echo what others have said, there are some newer engines that the muffs won't get enough water to.

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

turn it up man! gpm not psi is what you need