Engine Mounts

SS182

Seaman
I have a 1993 Wellcraft 182ss bowrider. The previous owner had installed a 5.0L V8 Merc and did not change the gearing. I have just corrected that problem. The next problem that I am running in to is the engine mounts. Are they the same for the 4.3 and 5.0? My mechanic says that he can not get the engine lined up to put the drive on correctly. He said that the front engine mount is adjustable for height and he already has it as low as he can go and it still needs to go further. He is talking about grinding down into the fibergass so he can mount the engine lower. Do you think he could shim up the rear mounts to get a proper alignment? We are in $2000 already on repairs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! <br />Thanks,<br /><br />Kyle

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine Mounts

I hope your mechanic is using the proper tool for this and not eyeballing it.there is an engine alignment tool for this.I'm not sure about the mounts being the same.it shouldn't matter because wellcraft makes there boats capable of installing v8's into boats that have 4.3 v6's.make sure he has the rear mounts on correctly.unless some one did some custom type work to the transom mount or transom this should not be a problem.<br />I have an 89 with a 350 in place of a 4.3 v6 in a <br />192 classic <br />Rich

SS182

Seaman

Rich,<br /><br />Thanks for the post...<br />He is using an allignment tool. He is a small time mechanic and I am new to boat ownership... I do not think either of us would recognize if the transom plate was mounted correctly or incorrectly as it may in this case. I asure you that it is not a custom transom plate. I have not had him pull the engine completly out yet, but when he does I want to know what I am looking for as far as a problem. Anyone have a detailed drawing or pic of the motor mounts and/or transom mounts and how they are supposed to be installed? What kind of tolerances are we dealing with? Before this is all over I may know more than mechanic. LOL<br /><br />SS :)

SS182

Seaman

I have called around to some other mechanics in the area. Several are stating the engine was not installed correctly on the rear mounts. They are suggesting that the previous owener probably did not install the spacer, spring (lock washer?), and fiber washer. this would cause the rear of the engine an inch lower than it should. I am going to have my mechanic check on it today. If anyone can verify this please let me know. Again all help is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Kyle

SS182

Seaman

Well, that was not the problem, back to square one! We are now looking at adding some washers to the back mounts to make them taller. If that does not work, we will investigate having a machine shop shorten the legs on the front motor mount. Keep your fingers crossed! We used this boat ONE time, and it has been in the shop since. One thing after another, we are now past the two month period! Thanks.

SS182

Seaman

Hello? I am needing some input! Can the rear mounts sag down? Any problem with adding addtional washers/spacers to the rear to assist in alligning the engine? My mechanic is being no help at all and just wants to do major surgery on the boat. There has to be another solution!<br /><br />Kyle

f_inscreenname

Commander

The back is set at the factory so its the same level as the gimbel ring. If you raise the back its like.........well cut a straw in half,line up the two pieces and look through them both. The piece next to your eye is the gimbel ring in the transom the second is the coupler that's bolted to the motor. If you pick up the back half of the motor (second piece of the straw,end closes to you) you will see you will never line up the motor and outdrive. The front of the motor adjusts (second piece of straw farthest end from you) so when you slide the driveshaft in it doesn't get stuck half way in because the motor is to high or to low in the front. In short the back is all ready lined up. You just have to line up the front. There is a lot of different motor mounts. Do a web search.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

f_inscreenname is absolutely right.<br />Anybody that told you rear mount are off is a bad mechanic.<br /><br />I installed Volvos on Mercury gimbals and viceversa, and others, but rear mount is only one you can't mess with it, it's already lined up with motor, it's front that has to be adjusted, if you don't have a tool to line it up you are in for troubles. Raise or lower the stringers in the front to get to right height, the line it up, don't mess with rear.

f_inscreenname

Commander

When I wrote my post I wasn't sure anyone understand what I was saying. It is really hard to put it into words.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more thing, rear mount cannot sag down, they are a solid unit with gimbal / transom assembly.<br /><br />f_inscreenname, I did understand you, but how did you come out with such a... f*** inscreenname... ;)

SS182

Seaman

Valv & F_inscreenname,<br /><br />Thank you both so much for your replies, I really appreciate it. F_inscreenname, thanks for the straw analogy it is really helpful. Valv, you are right about my mechanic! Unfortunately, I found out too late! Live and learn. My mechanic thought I was a genius when I brought up the idea of altering the front mounts as opposed to cutting in the floor-lol. Supposedly the boat will be ready tomorrow evening, but considering this is about the tenth time we thought we were getting it "tomorrow," I am trying not to get too excited. Thanks again guys.<br /><br />Kyle

f_inscreenname

Commander

Have you ever tried to get a screen name on yahoo or for that matter any web site. After a hundred tries (more and more people on the web,less names)and out of frustration I tried F_inscreenname and it worked. I hate to keep changing names from site to site. I can be at different sites and people will recognize me. That's cool.

SS182

Seaman

Great News!!!<br /><br />We got the boat back last night. Altering the front mounts a bit worked out. We are going to take off a bit early on Friday and take her for a spin. Before you know it we will be time to winterize it. Thanks for your posts and help it was greatly appreciated. Replacing the floor sometime this winter. I am sure I'll have more quetions then.<br /><br />Kyle