Engine Key Problem

borourke

Seaman
Hey Guys.<br /><br />I have seen many solutions to what seemed to me hard problems posted on this board. So I am hoping someone out there can help me with mine. <br /><br />My new boat just developed a issue. When I go to start the boat the key goes into the 1st position fine and the warning buzzer goes on. Then when I go to turn the engine over sometimes the key turns right past the second position and the engine won't turn over. <br /><br />I then have to spin the key a few differnet ways to align something in that switch for the engine to actually start. It is not a battery or engine issue. Once it is "aligned" the engine turns right over. <br /><br />I thought it may have actually been the whole ignition fixture that was spinning buy it is the part the key goes into inside the fixture that is spinning.<br /><br />Knock on wood, every time it has just taken a minute or 2 to correct, but I am afraid one day on the lake when I NEED it to turn over I won't be able to fix it.<br /><br />The boat in under warrenty and this would be a covered fix, but the closest service location is a 2 1/2 hour drive and I do not want to be with out the boat in the middle of boating season.<br /><br />I am hoping this is a simple problem I can fix myself with some guidence from the folks on this board. Anyone have any thoghts?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brian

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine Key Problem

From your description the switch is defective and needs to be replaced. Have your dealer send you a new one and swap it out yourself.

borourke

Seaman

Thanks, I will give them a call and see if they are willing to do that. Is it an easy job once I have the replacement part?

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know you can have a problem. If you are not used to doing screws and wiring of many wires and knowing how to take the battery cables off, and other things. DON'T start this. You could melt a lot of wires and lose the warrenty. Take it to the dealer as a wait till it's finished job. Or leave it 1 day.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the keyswitch is for an ordinary inboard, mounted through the dash, go down to NAPA and spend ten bucks and replace the switch , it is a three pole affair, the hot lead goes to the common, the ignition lead goes to the second pole, and start lead goes to the momentary pole, if you can't figure this out, get out your wallet and be prepared to be raped.

borourke

Seaman

Update - As expected I went out to the lake this weekend and finally the engine wouldn't turn over, so at that point it was broke in my mind, therefore I couldn't make it worse by fiddling with it. <br /><br />Come to find out the actual ignition is OK, it was either a design issue or a instalation problem. There is a lock washer and nut on the backside of the ignition where the keyhole mounts into the dash, but on the front side there needs to be a lock nut and washer as well, and there wasn't. <br /><br />So what would happen is each time you would but the key in and apply pressure the ignition would little by little work its way back further away from the dash until the entire unit would just spin. I pulled the with out, held in in place and it started everytime. Now I just need to go to Home Depot and buy a lock waaher and nut. Was able to get back on the water in 20 minutes after I figured it out. <br /><br />Thanks to everyone who replied with advise!<br /><br />Brian