engine is not taking any fuel

jjboor

Seaman
Yesterday i went out with my '68, 6hp Johnson sea horse.
I ran into the problem that I had to keep squeezing the bulb on the fuel line. If I don't the carb runs out of fuel and the engine stalls.
What should I look for? Why doesn't the engine take it's own fuel. I just installed a filter on the line, can that cause to much resistance? I don't know if it worked before, I just bought the tank and engine. Threw out the old fuel, that had been sitting for a year, and filled her up with new gas...

I noticed that at a certain point I was only squeezing air into filter/fuel line. (tank was half full) Does this mean there is a leak somewhere? Then why was there pressure on the tank?(when I opened the vent on the tank it hissed for a moment so you would think it's air tight no?)

I hope this makes sense to someone, thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine is not taking any fuel

the vent needs to be open for it to take fuel. you were creating a vacuum. if that doesn't work i would suspect fuel pump.

jjboor

Seaman

the vent is open when driving boat. the hissing was from temp. difference between outside and warmed car. Is there a fuel pump on a '68, 6hp sea horse?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, there is a fuel pump, jjboor.

You may have a failed fuel pump or you may have an air leak in the fuel line/filter to the pump, causing it to pump air instead of fuel.

Good luck. :)

jjboor

Seaman

I'll need a manual first... as the frech say: merde!

I hoped to plug a hole and be done! now I need to rebuild carb clean her up and try again! ok!