Engine ID

Dukedog

Captain
ok, my bad... i thought you were referin' to tha vent/louvers at tha front/side of tha cowl... sorry i'm old and easily confused.... after a little more attention paid ta what ya said i get it now.

Twactorman

Cadet
look in this area, port side, on tha block half.. that's tha timing arm in tha picture.. tha date (06 28 90 on this one ) is stamped at tha base of number two cylinder.. some are a lot harder ta read but its there... tha clamp and trim is at least '84 or newer.....

also on top of tha block behind tha flywheel you will see a welsh plug (looks like a freeze plug) that might have a serial number stamped in it...

Twactorman

Cadet
look in this area, port side, on tha block half.. that's tha timing arm in tha picture.. tha date (06 28 90 on this one ) is stamped at tha base of number two cylinder.. some are a lot harder ta read but its there... tha clamp and trim is at least '84 or newer.....

also on top of tha block behind tha flywheel you will see a welsh plug (looks like a freeze plug) that might have a serial number stamped in it...
ok I found the numbers where you said 04 09 91 so my guess is that it's a 91, also the to freeze plugs your talking about one is stamped 200 the other one is blank so again i'm guessing it's a 200 hp am I correct

Twactorman

Cadet
I’m going for it being an ‘87. Looks like an extra long shaft too.
But all that said…it’s confusing me to be honest. I’m also going to suggest that the hood may not be original if it’s a 200…as far as I’m aware or seen…the 200 models have vents on the upper hood casing at each side. The smaller 2.0 150 models and similar don’t. Usually most of the 2.5 litres have the vents I’d think.
QBhoy it does have 2 vents on the upper hood one on each side

Twactorman

Cadet
I’m going for it being an ‘87. Looks like an extra long shaft too.
But all that said…it’s confusing me to be honest. I’m also going to suggest that the hood may not be original if it’s a 200…as far as I’m aware or seen…the 200 models have vents on the upper hood casing at each side. The smaller 2.0 150 models and similar don’t. Usually most of the 2.5 litres have the vents I’d think.
2 vents are on the upper hood in the back

Dukedog

Captain
ok I found the numbers where you said 04 09 91 so my guess is that it's a 91, also the to freeze plugs your talking about one is stamped 200 the other one is blank so again i'm guessing it's a 200 hp am I correct
yes and yes.. tha "powerhead" itself is a '91 200, probably a replacement .. tha rest is earlier..