Engine has trouble starting IN the water, starts fine OUT of water

Toxarch

Seaman
Only had the 92 Mercury XR4 150 for a couple of weeks. The engine was having some problems starting when it is in the water. Tried it the other day in the driveway with the muffs on and the alarm went off from no water pumping through. So I changed the impeller, impeller housing, and gaskets. Also replaced both thermostats.

Put the muffs on again and water pumped through it fine, though it was hard to start. Took it back out to the lake and still had a problem with it starting in the water. I can raise the engine up out of the water or almost out of the water and it fires right up and then I can drop it down into the water and it will run fine. If it does finally start in the water, then it idles low. Also yesterday, it was slow to take off.

I'm going to change the spark plugs and wires next, but thought I thought I would ask to see if anyone had any ideas of why it doesn't like to start in the water. I can't imagine why the water would prevent it from starting, though I have limited knowledge of outboards.