Engine Fog

Sooner44

Seaman
Volvo Penta 3.0 2005 model<br /><br />How do you fog the engine ??<br /><br />Do you worry about leaving the carb with gas in it over the winter ?<br /><br />Is it necessary to unhook the hoses from the raw water pump, power steering cooler and elsewhere to drain water ?<br /><br />And !! is there any water in the lower end to worry about ????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Fog

If you look at your owners manual, it will answer all of those questions.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Good manuals have all this info. Short answer. Fresh gas "Stabiled" and run through enough to get through the carb. Change oil/filter warm. Replace both. Start it and pull the air cleaner and spray fogging oil right into the carb, shut it off. Cover the carb, Cover the gas tank vent. Drain everything that has straight water in it<br /> Drain and refill the lower unit. <br />Go to the "FAQS" section here at IBOATS and the bottom post is all about winterization

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sooner44,<br />Any new boat with a Volvo is $$$$ .Even a 3.0.<br /><br />Why not have your dealer do it this year,and you read up on it next year ?<br /><br />A simply mistake can cost alot.<br /><br /><br />DHP

Sooner44

Seaman

DHP,<br /><br />I've been winterizing my searay for 20 years, with no problem. Of course, I have not been performing the winterzation the correct way.<br />I simply drain the block, manifold, elbow.<br />Connect small pump to the block drain and pump entire system full of antifreeze. I have never fogged the engine, changed the oil/filter - I wait til spring to do that. The only issue I have ever had was the gas laquered up one year in the carb. The issue is, the Volvo has several more water lines that the Merc 3.0 (1984). I need to learn the proper way, and now is as good a time as any. I'm not worried about freezing up the system, I am anal about mechanical / hydronic systems, if anything I'll probably go overboard.<br />My dealer wont share any info with me, feels I'm taking money out of his pocket. So, I'll do it myself. You probably right, I should pay the $300.00 and feel good about it.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sooner, IU suggest one change to your system, change the oil before letting the engine sit. The contaminants left in the oil from conbustion blowby can corrode internal things. Better to have fresh oil in there. Besides, you'll get on the water faster in the spring when your itching to go.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sooner<br /><br />The main change between Mercruiser and Volvo is probably the belt driven seawater pump your Volvo has.<br /><br />I won't preach on the 'proper way' to winterize because what works for you works.<br /><br />DHP