Engine flush with Seafoam or????

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
My father and I just did a head job on his 87' 120 hp MercCruiser. Had the head shaved (ten thousands- -she got hot somewhere) and put it all back together and she ran fine.

We drained all of the milk (water and oil) before starting the job. We then added a new filter and oil prior to starting it, of course. We noticed that from the dipstick that we still had a little milk mixed in with the new oil after we ran her. We thought this was just was the leftover milk that lined the engine and didn't drain.

We're thinking of using a cleaning agent like Seafoam or gunk to get the rest of the milk out of the engine before putting another filter and new oil into it. Any suggestions or similiar experience from the community is appreciated in advance. Thanks friends.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine flush with Seafoam or????

I have heard of many people using diesel fuel,its much cheaper than Seafoam and will clean the moisture out...;)

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard of many people using diesel fuel,its much cheaper than Seafoam and will clean the moisture out...;)

Yeah, my father and talked about diesel fuel or kerosene maybe. Cost isn't a problem, we just want to be sure we dry up all of the water in that milk and get a clean block and head when we're done. Thanks for your input.

Laddies

Banned

Gary just gave you the best advice availably, so go buy the seafoam if you need too it's about 90% alcohol with a little fine oil mixed in. If it makes you feel better spend the money.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gary just gave you the best advice availably, so go buy the seafoam if you need too it's about 90% alcohol with a little fine oil mixed in. If it makes you feel better spend the money.

Thanks for the input. Question. How much diesel should I put into a full crankcase and how long should I run it before draining the oil and diesel from the engine? Thanks in advance.

scorpion230

Cadet

Same here on the diesel fuel... I have heard of some old guys draineg the oil and put a gallon of so of diesel (cost as much as a small can of sea foam) and bumping the starter PLUGS OUT to rinse the engine prion to disassembly. Not sure if it works but who knows?
To not I recently had a head gasket go and all I did to get the water out was change the couple times. Probably the most expensive but if you ask me its the best for the engine since you dont dilute your oil with "engine cleaners"

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

The Best, Safest way is to just Run it........

If you run the motor reasonably Hard, the oil will heat up,+ the Water will evaporate.........

If you insist on running some Diesel or Whatever,.......
Drain a like amount of Oil, so you're Not Overfilling the base.......
Overfilling the oil is Worse than running Not enough oil........

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,......

The Best, Safest way is to just Run it........

If you run the motor reasonably Hard, the oil will heat up,+ the Water will evaporate.........

If you insist on running some Diesel or Whatever,.......
Drain a like amount of Oil, so you're Not Overfilling the base.......
Overfilling the oil is Worse than running Not enough oil........

I agree on running it but we're at the end of the season here in upstate NY and we'd like to lay the boat up after this project. We are weary of leaving that film of milk in the engine over the winter. I guess I could drop her in the water and run her for awhile but I'd like to avoid it if I can. Thanks for the input.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Running it and changing the oil again would be the only way i would go before laying it up for the winter.No way i would want moisture setting in it for several months..