Engine/Drive Removal

pete42

Cadet
Hello. Have a 87 Searay which has a rotted transom...I am going to remove the outdrive and engine myself...I have a Clymer manual...It is a 3.0 litre 4cyl with an Alpha one drive...Difficult to do? Also(which most of us fight for spare time)what a mechanic would charge for this?.. Thanks..Pete42

Trent

Captain
Re: Engine/Drive Removal

To remove the 3.0 and outdrive should take a couple of hours. And a couple more to remove the transom plates. Charges very from place to place. Labor here is about 70.00 per hour.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you have the appropriate hoists, then the job is fairly easy. Repairing the transom is another matter all together! (I am doing the same exact thing myself. I didn't start removing anything until last Saturday afternoon, and by evening I had the outdrive off, my engine out, a 5.7 liter, and the entire transom assembly off. I now need to decide whether to tackle the transom myself or hire it done).

pete42

Cadet

Thanks guys, Fishermark You are at where I want to get to..So,I may go ahead..Only problem forseen is the lack of a hoist...Can a standard engine hoist do OK? (to lift it high enough)out of boat?..I could rent one...Also,it ought to be a lot cheaper since you have transom stripped down,,and all the "pro" would have to do is rebuild it...I've done some floor glassing and it is not easy work but they ought to give you some kind of break on the price.. ;) .let me know...Pete42

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Pete, I had to fashion a frame to pull the engine out of my boat - it is a 24' Sportcraft - too big for my garage and too tall for my normal "cherry picker." Now my dad's boat is a different story. He has an 18' Sportcraft and it fits in my garage and is low enough that my cherry picker can lift his engine out and clears the transom.<br /><br />In regards to the transom, I've talked to a couple of places that do this type of work, and yes, since I have it all "accessable" they will certainly have less work to do. One place gave me a ballpark figure of $500 - $600. If he is able to do it for that I will definately go for it! (I'll know more at the end of the week). The other place said it would in the $1200 range. For that much I may consider doing it myself.<br /><br />I am confident I COULD do it, but don't really think I have the time... plus I HATE working with fiberglass! Too itchy for me! :D <br /><br />Good luck, and keep us informed.

pete42

Cadet

Thanks Fishermark...This gets me more enthused to get to your point on your boat..My boat is only 17 foot bowrider...and from 500 to 1200 dollar range would be ALOT better than the 2000 to 3200 ranges I was quoted...My boat only cost me 2300 when I bought it and with the prices of "newer" ones ...well you know what I mean..When I did my glassing/replaced stringer-wood floor & boxes it was not that bad..but you have to work fast beacause of the cure speed of the resin-hardener mixture..also the worst part was just getting to the area (under floor) to begin with...OK if you are limber..the fumes of resin can "bite" you too but I used a oscillating fan for that..had to wear rubber gloves and the fiber cloth I used liked to stick to them..but in all not that bad to do...But I am a novice to transom/bildge rework..and since it is the area for supporting/mounting my engine and outdrive I may elect to have a pro do it..plus a "leak-free" bildge would be nice!....sorry so long..Thanks again for the info.. :D Pete