Engine dies as I put to gear

Mohsali

Cadet
I bought secondhand Mercury 200HP(1985) S/N A148279. The engine dies as I put it into gear.<br /> No problem went when gear is free. Local tech says its the switchbox cos that seem the<br />problem for mercury when left out for few months. Pls advise :confused:

father2twins

Cadet
Re: Engine dies as I put to gear

Have you checked your carbs. If it hasnt been running in a while good bet it could be your carbs are gummed up

Mohsali

Cadet

Thanks for the advise. But I have clean the carbs & bought new plugs. Still the engine dies <br />when put into gear plus now the engine sounds misfired.The local mechanic who have service<br />other mercury says it the switchbox. He has fixed a few mercury engine by changing the switch<br />box only.But the engine owner says the same problem arise when the engine was return to the<br />water a few months later and the mechanic just change the switchbox and it flies again. Can this <br />be the reason or electrical problem. Pls advise

kshatzer

Seaman Apprentice

See "troubleshooting 200 HP Mercury". About 40 posts there- last on 30 June. Seems to be a recurring problem with this size engine

Mohsali

Cadet

Thanks will check it out. My friends says it could be the piston ring has broke.Is it possible?