Engine Dies AND Temporary Loss of Electrical Power

Ordu

Recruit
1995 Four Winns Horizon 200. 5.0 OMC Cobra / Volvo Penta (Ford). - one of the years they were all in bed together - OMC/VP SX outdrive. Just picked this boat up this week from a guy who said: "works great for me all year!"

First time out, the engine starts up fine. Hit the throttle to get up and the engine sputters, chugs, and dies. Tough re-start. Add to it I lose electrical power. I can't even hit the horn. Dead. Wait 5 minutes and the electrical power comes back but the engine won't start. I can recreate this problem on land with muffs as well. Starts great the FIRST time of the day or after a long wait. But then I start to get a whine from what sounds like the low-pressure fuel pump. Checked all fuel lines and electrical wires as well and wire-brushed all connections. So far the electrical has held. I think I need a new fuel pump so I will try that.

Here is a link to a video of me trying to start it for the 2nd time of the day. The first time (2 minutes earlier) worked fine, but the engine chugged after initial startup. (Yes, I am on muffs on when doing this)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mpv7FnURfRtde1ns8

I can understand in the fuel pump goes bad. I can fix that. My concern is why would I also lose electrical power? Is there any connection between the two I am missing? Or is it just a weird coincidence. I did trailer this 3 hours before putting it in the water so maybe something shook loose???

Any info or direction appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Start at the battery then go to each end of the cables, both starter and the engine block and clean the ends. Since everything was lost, there is a bad connection. Do not ignore the ground side

Could be the 10 pin connector

As for not starting, what is missing, fuel or spark?

Is there fuel squirting down the carb when the throttle is pumped?

Ordu

Recruit
Thanks. Will do a second check of full electrical wires and make sure I have a good connection.

No carb. EFI. Seems to be a fuel supply issue. Spark seems good.

Thanks!