engine cowl gaskets-several motors

Lou Earle

Cadet
I have a couple of 40 hp Johnson's a 50 evinrude, a 35 hp 1957 Johnson, plus a Bear cat. I notice the gaskets where the hood or cowl meets the engine base or flange the rubber gasket is pretty well shot on them .
Does anyone know where I could find these gaskets? I know some are different but was wondering what you guys have been using as replacement seals
Thanks
Lou

D

DJ

Re: engine cowl gaskets-several motors

If you can find them, they are incredibly expensive and difficult to replace. Unless you want to keep our engines 100% OEM, I suggest the following:

-Rubber tubing, split, does a fine job of sealing and reducing vibration. Depending on the size of your OB's, anywhere froim 1/4" to 1/2" tubing does wonders. Just glue it on with weatherstrip seal available at most auto parts stores.

Lou Earle

Cadet
Re: engine cowl gaskets-several motors

Thanks for the info I had just reposted when I remembered I has posted before. I was thinking about the rubber tubing Guess Ill do that
thanks for the tip
Lou

Lou Earle

Cadet
Re: engine cowl gaskets-several motors-my own answer-maybe

Re: engine cowl gaskets-several motors-my own answer-maybe

I just re-discovered this site:
http://www.wefcorubber.com/
It actually had the original rubber bumper 0r rub rail for a 57 thunder hawk boat.
It looks like they have a LOT of gasket type extrusions in u h or j shapes.
I am going to try and measure and see if I can age a one size fists most- gasket
will keep you all posted
Lou