Engine Clean Up

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Everyone<br /> I have a Volvo Penta AQ125 with an Aluminum valve cover that need to be clean and restored it is now dark grey in color it not pitted just almost black .<br />Any advice on cleaning or buffing to allum. color or should I paint it ? and what type of paint to use on aluminum ? :confused: <br />Thanks<br />Mario

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Clean Up

Hello, Paint it or buff it....A personal choice. I guess whichever one you would think looks better. I would make it look like it did when it was new. I'm a real fanatic about making things look OEM. Makes it look that much better when people stop by to admire! If you are looking to make it look natural again I would use a good cleaner such as 3m's aluminum mag and wheel polish. Remove the valve cover and polish it carefully with the polish. Use a small buffer or a dremel tool to make the job easier and make you able to buff the crevices and small areas. After you have the shine back finish the job by applying a clear protective sealer so the metal won't oxidize again. If painting is more your style remove the valve cover and clean with a Scotchbright pad to remove some oxidation and scuff the metal a little bit to prepare it for primer. Use a zinc rich primer and then follow up with a few coats of good quality spray paint. You can also apply the clear sealer after the paint dries to make it have extra gloss and shine. Let us know how the job turns out! Hope this helped!