engine breakin procedure

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
just installed a new gm 3.0 liter, and need some guidance on breaking in,also i have about 70 minutes on the muffs, and the tappets seem a little noisy, is this normal or will they have to be adjusted after break in period. thanx in advance

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: engine breakin procedure

Mickey1<br />No it is not normal. 3.0L has hydralic lifter and they should be quite. I would not even put the same head back on with all the same lifter and push rods in the same spot with out adjusting. Better noisy than quiet and missing, as to loose will loose power but too tight and you will burn a valve. If it is a full long block should already be adjusted.<br /><br />Lifters should be adjusted to center travel after engine is warm. 3.0L I have worked on you adjust on the compression stroke with the piston at the top. Adjust lifter to zero play and then 1 turn down. I have heard some say 3/4 turn down but my book says 1 turn. Personaly I never adjust that way but if every thing is right it will work that way.<br /><br />The way I adjust is with the engine running and hot. Since the engine is running must be carefull. I adjust slowly down until the engine misses them back up slowly until smooth then up one turn. If everything is right will end up adjusted to the same spot, but if have a lifter that hangs up and does not have the normal travel will end up the the lifter a little loose instead of too tight with the valve open. When Done I always do a compression check to be sure.<br />Good luck.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: engine breakin procedure

boatist thank you for your input, i remember adj. valves that way when i was much younger. ill give it a try, but ive run into another problem. im starting a new post on it