Engine alignment question

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to align a yanmar with the transmission to the propshaft. Up and down is fine but I can't get the left and right. The mounts are all engine mounts and no transmission mounts. All four mounts only adjust up and down and not left to right. As of now it is too loose on the 3 o'clock side and too tight on the 9 o'clock side. Only having the up and down adjustments and no left to right adjustments is throwing me off. Is there a way to adjust it left to right with only having the up and down adjustments.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Engine alignment question

Can you provide a bit more info (size, serial numbers, type, etc) of what type of yanmar and outdrive your trying to align

bluey

Seaman

Is there a way to adjust it left to right with only having the up and down adjustments.

It guess it depends on the type of engine mounts. Most have elongated bolt holes to allow some sideways adjustment. I'm talking about the holes thru which you bolt the mount to the engine bed/bearers. I recently reinstalled my Yanmar engine and had no problems with sideways alignment because of those elongated holes in the mounts. Also the 4 angle brackets, which bolt to my engine, each have an elongated hole for the mount centrebolt so there is further sideways adjustment at that point. You don't need to move the engine much to get the aligment, just a smidgen at a time and keep checking the flange gap often.

bluey.

Last edited:

angus63

Captain

Side loading the system will likely lead to premature bearing and seal failure. With ALL of the mounts loose, there should be no deflection or load on the shaft. Alternate torqing the mounts and use an indicator to check for deflection. A little care now will prevent future headaches. It is not unheard of to open up clearance holes and use large machine washers to aide in alignment. Is the boat in the water or on the hard/trailer? Best to do this floating.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could not agree more. Do NOT do it on the hill. Boat needs to be in the water. You are talking about thousands of an inch.